Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity?
Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity?
Obviously moderate reliugion is much less destructive to society thanfundamentalist religion is but from the outlook of pure logic moderate Christianity makes even less sense.

Anyone who reads the Bible will know that the Judeo Christian God is not a moderate. He hates gays, people of other faiths
People like the Westboro Baptist Church and people who say homosexuals should be executed like in Muslim countries are the ones following the teachings of the Bible the best.

Moderate Christians who say its OK for people to be gay, and are accepting of other religions, and are disgusted by things like slkavery and blood sacrifices, are just going against what their God says, and essentially saying their own Bible which is the work of God is totally wrong, although that is apparently the perfect moral guide which they derive their morals from and ignore its morals completely as well Thinking

In summary:

Moderate Christianity = making their irrational assumption of believing the Bible is truth then having made that assumption behaving totally irrationally in every way on the basis of that irrational assumption.

Fundamentalist/Extremist Christianity = making their irrational assumption of believing the Bible is truth then having made that assumption behaving rationally on the basis of that irrational assumption.

RE: Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity?
Some Christians may say that the bible is a guide to how to live today.
My Christian friends say the bible is written over 2000 years ago and can be interpreted different ways.
That way, they can interpret the bad shit (hating gays, slavering and blood sacrifices) and say that only made since back in biblical times.
But the good shit (be nice, friendly, forgive others) can still apply today.

It's a bunch of bullshit. :/
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
RE: Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity?
(December 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote: Some Christians may say that the bible is a guide to how to live today.
My Christian friends say the bible is written over 2000 years ago and can be interpreted different ways.
That way, they can interpret the bad shit (hating gays, slavering and blood sacrifices) and say that only made since back in biblical times.
But the good shit (be nice, friendly, forgive others) can still apply today.

It's a bunch of bullshit. :/

I always wonder why anyone should feel the need to get their morals from a book, any book. If you don't stop to figure out what you think, you'll never recognize the right answer in any book.
(December 18, 2011 at 1:10 pm)whateverist Wrote: I always wonder why anyone should feel the need to get their morals from a book, any book. If you don't stop to figure out what you think, you'll never recognize the right answer in any book.

They grew up that way, and were taught to learn that way by their parents -.-
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
There was a point in time when hating gays, slavery, and blood sacrifice "made sense"? I wasn't aware. Here I was plugging along under the impression that people have held ignorant beliefs since time immemorial.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 18, 2011 at 8:54 pm)Rhythm Wrote: There was a point in time when hating gays, slavery, and blood sacrifice "made sense"? I wasn't aware. Here I was plugging along under the impression that ignorant people have been ignorant since time immemorial.

Not to mention genocide.
Anybody who offers that up is treading a mighty fine line. Tacit approval "Well, it was okay then....." oh was it, and it isn't okay now because? Certain segments of the faithful maintain that it was okay then and now, of course.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Anybody who offers that up is treading a mighty fine line. Tacit approval "Well, it was okay then....." oh was it, and it isn't okay now because? Certain segments of the faithful maintain that it was okay then and now, of course.

Treading a fine line, and opening up a door that they may wish they hadn't:

1. If genocide was acceptable to god then, and is now, god is a monster.
2. If genocide was acceptable to god then, but not now, clearly god's morality is not objective and eternal.
3. If genocide was neither acceptable then, nor now, then the bible is false.
4. If genocide was unacceptable then, and acceptable now.... well, nobody really argues that, do they? See #2.

Apologies to Epicurus for ripping off his paradox.

(December 18, 2011 at 11:30 am)Xavier Wrote: Obviously moderate reliugion is much less destructive to society thanfundamentalist religion is but from the outlook of pure logic moderate Christianity makes even less sense.

Anyone who reads the Bible will know that the Judeo Christian God is not a moderate. He hates gays, people of other faiths
People like the Westboro Baptist Church and people who say homosexuals should be executed like in Muslim countries are the ones following the teachings of the Bible the best.

Moderate Christians who say its OK for people to be gay, and are accepting of other religions, and are disgusted by things like slkavery and blood sacrifices, are just going against what their God says, and essentially saying their own Bible which is the work of God is totally wrong, although that is apparently the perfect moral guide which they derive their morals from and ignore its morals completely as well Thinking

In summary:

Moderate Christianity = making their irrational assumption of believing the Bible is truth then having made that assumption behaving totally irrationally in every way on the basis of that irrational assumption.

Fundamentalist/Extremist Christianity = making their irrational assumption of believing the Bible is truth then having made that assumption behaving rationally on the basis of that irrational assumption.

Before you make statements like, God hates, you should study the scriptures and find out the truth. God hates no one, so he could not hate in the manner you described above. What God does hate are the sinful actions of man not man himself. If it were true that God hated anyone then he would not have sent his Son to redeem mankind, that would be a great contradiction and as you stated yourself God is not moderate, he sent Christ for all and not just for a special few.
You judge God on the actions of his fallible followers, none of us are close to perfect, but if you must pick people to judge God by find those who are actually doing what Christ teaches. That would however require you to come to some kind of a understanding of his teachings through scripture.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(December 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm)Godschild Wrote: Before you make statements like, God hates, you should study the scriptures and find out the truth. God hates no one, so he could not hate in the manner you described above.

Untrue. Your god not only turned his back on the whole of mankind not once, but twice, he has commanded the genocide of entire communties. If that's not hatred, than Hitler was just acting-up and and just sort of disliked the Jews.

Quote:What God does hate are the sinful actions of man not man himself.

Untrue. If your god only hated sin, he wouldn't be burning the soul of a man for eternity - he'd be punishing Satan, sin, etc. etc. No no .. he hates men who do not fear him and refuse to accept him as their supreme dictator.

Quote:If it were true that God hated anyone then he would not have sent his Son to redeem mankind, that would be a great contradiction and as you stated yourself God is not moderate, he sent Christ for all and not just for a special few.

Untrue. Matthew 7:13 declares that his salvation is only for a select group and the other 100 billion of us are going to burn forever.

Quote:You judge God on the actions of his fallible followers, none of us are close to perfect ...

Untrue. I judge your god by the words he supposedly writes in his old book. Your god has damned himself --- his followers are just evidence of the unjust nature and immorality of your god.

Quote: but if you must pick people to judge God by find those who are actually doing what Christ teaches. That would however require you to come to some kind of a understanding of his teachings through scripture.

Once again, this is your own improvable biased opinion. Many of us have far more knowledge and understanding of the scriptures than you do and telling us that our lack of understanding is why we don't understand is a tired old cop-out.

[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2202 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Christians worship Satan and don't even know it rado84 18 1766 April 15, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Even Duterte Get It Minimalist 5 1413 September 29, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 29212 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2123 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Sad My mother believes in Jesus more than in me suffering23 56 8867 April 16, 2018 at 3:11 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Lyle Jeffs, Fundamentalist Mormon Breeding Colony Finance Wizard ARRESTED !!! vorlon13 6 2200 June 17, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4887 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  What do non-fundamentalist Christians actually believe? Fromper 66 24400 June 30, 2016 at 7:08 pm
  This Is More Complicated Than I Thought. Minimalist 1 1277 May 19, 2016 at 8:55 am