Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spectacular new video of Comet Lovejoy (oh boy):

Enjoy!
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Spectacular new video of Comet Lovejoy (oh boy):
... and boy was everyone surprised that plucky ball of rock and gas survived the sun's corona.
I can't help but imagine the comet being named after the simpson character Reverend Lovejoy.
Do you know where it's headed next?
I imagine the first trip through the sun must have slowed it down and changed its orbital trajectory as that it might plunge into the sun again soon.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
RE: Spectacular new video of Comet Lovejoy (oh boy):
(December 30, 2011 at 2:12 am)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: ... and boy was everyone surprised that plucky ball of rock and gas survived the sun's corona.
I can't help but imagine the comet being named after the simpson character Reverend Lovejoy.
Do you know where it's headed next?
I imagine the first trip through the sun must have slowed it down and changed its orbital trajectory as that it might plunge into the sun again soon.

It is headed away from the sun, outbounded towards somewhere else, probably the outer solar system. But it hasn't passed the Earth's orbit yet, and is only visible from the southern hemisphere. It will be visible from the Northern hemisphere towards the south in the coming months, if it stays as active as it currently is; and if so, it should be quite a sight. Considering the battering it has taken, it could also break up. If that happens, and if it stays active after breaking up, it could give us a really interesting show. Then again, it could fizzle out. You never know about comets.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paper on Comet/Asteroid Impact Causing the Younger Dryas Cooling. Minimalist 23 5752 May 31, 2013 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Comet Lovejoy caught in action by ISS astronauts orogenicman 0 1160 December 22, 2011 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Comet survives pass through solar corona popeyespappy 9 5111 December 21, 2011 at 8:18 am
Last Post: orogenicman
  Amino acids found on comet RevOxley 14 7282 August 20, 2009 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet