Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 10:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Score one for Modified Newtonian Dynamics
Score one for Modified Newtonian Dynamics
Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) was first proposed in 1983 by Mordehai Milgrom as a way to account for the Gaxaly Rotation Problem. Basically MOND says that acceleration may not be linearly proportional to force at small values. MOND can be used to predict the relationship between the mass of galaxies and their rotational velocity. This is something the competing theory of dark matter/energy can’t do accurately.

New observations have recently allowed a sample of 47 gas rich low mass galaxies to be examined. The relationship between mass and rotation velocity was checked. All 47 galaxies fell at or very near the MOND prediction. Dark matter models didn’t fare nearly as well.

Linky
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: Score one for Modified Newtonian Dynamics
(January 9, 2012 at 1:28 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) was first proposed in 1983 by Mordehai Milgrom as a way to account for the Gaxaly Rotation Problem. Basically MOND says that acceleration may not be linearly proportional to force at small values. MOND can be used to predict the relationship between the mass of galaxies and their rotational velocity. This is something the competing theory of dark matter/energy can’t do accurately.

New observations have recently allowed a sample of 47 gas rich low mass galaxies to be examined. The relationship between mass and rotation velocity was checked. All 47 galaxies fell at or very near the MOND prediction. Dark matter models didn’t fare nearly as well.

Linky
Quote:McGaugh’s new paper doesn’t give any evidence at all against dark matter. What it does is to claim that an alternative theory — MOND, which replaces dark matter with a modification of Newtonian dynamics — provides a good fit to a certain class of gas-rich galaxies. That’s an interesting result! Just not the result the headlines would have you believe.

It’s obvious what happens here. Nobody would read an article entitled “Gas rich galaxies confirm prediction of modified gravity theory” — or at least, most editors doubtless feel, fewer people would be interested in that than in evidence that went directly against dark matter. So let’s just spice up the story a bit by highlighting the most dramatic possible conclusion we can imagine drawing, and burying the caveats until the end. Net result: a few more people read the articles than otherwise would have, while many more people just read the headlines and are left with less understanding of modern cosmology than they started with.
Dark Matter: Just Fine, Thanks.

Well, this is what happenes with competing theories. Just because you find evidence supporting one doesn't automatically discount the other completely until there's more evidence to really say one thing over the other.

Still, it's interesting to see how things are going on the current forefront of scientific astrophysical understanding with two viable and competing theories of the fundemental nature of the universe.

Good work. Smile
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
(January 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm)SecularSanity Wrote: Dark Matter: Just Fine, Thanks.

No one including me said that this proves MOND is in and dark matter is out. Only that MOND is able to make predictions that with dark matter can’t. Therefore score one for MOND.

At this point both theories have both pluses and minuses. The correct answer could be one, it could be the other, it could be both and it might even be neither. We just don’t know. To the best of my knowledge most of the cosmology is still behind dark matter. But then at one point in the not too distant history most of them were behind the steady state universe too.

My only hope is that I’m still around when they figure it out.

(January 9, 2012 at 1:28 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) was first proposed in 1983 by Mordehai Milgrom as a way to account for the Gaxaly Rotation Problem. Basically MOND says that acceleration may not be linearly proportional to force at small values. MOND can be used to predict the relationship between the mass of galaxies and their rotational velocity. This is something the competing theory of dark matter/energy can’t do accurately.

Linky

When i first heard of darkmatter, I was like "You have to be shitting me..its some kind of mistake"

Well, they did find some evidence for it, but then again, this article doesnt bode well for darkmatter.

Dont expect dark matter to disapear anytime soon, pardon the pun..

We need more information.
MOND is still around? Man, there's too much science in the science. Angel
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]
(January 11, 2012 at 12:58 am)houseofcantor Wrote: MOND is still around?

And apparently making correct predictions....

However according to the link in the score one for dark matter thread they put MOND to bed yesterday.

(January 11, 2012 at 1:03 am)popeyespappy Wrote:
(January 11, 2012 at 12:58 am)houseofcantor Wrote: MOND is still around?

And apparently making correct predictions....

However according to the link in the score one for dark matter thread they put MOND to bed yesterday.

I believe it's premature to close the book at this point. Both theories have some merit, and many unanswered questions.

Popcorn

I'm thinking they're both off; and that time is still being a bastard. But I'm a naive philosopher not a physicist, where we both have a common origin based in science and a brain that reads this stuff and goes, "wow. That's cool." Wink
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]
I believe one thing is certain - the more we learn, the more we learn that the cosmos are stranger than we previously imagined.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Score (yet another) one for science! Cyberman 7 1014 October 7, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Score one for dark matter popeyespappy 6 2299 January 11, 2012 at 1:05 am
Last Post: popeyespappy