Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 6:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Can an American citizen be a real atheist?
Question 
Can an American citizen be a real atheist?
I wanted to be one good atheist after I turned my back on Christianity.
Since I can't really obey "love thy neighbor" and "don't be angry" types of rules, therefore I'm a hypocrite Christian,right?

Well, being an American citizen with "IN GOD WE TRUST" in my wallet, using and reading the text everyday to buy stuffs will dis-qualified me as a real atheist, and become a hypocrite again for the second time?

Give me your $.02
RE: Can an American citizen be a real atheist?
Everyone is a hypocrite in some sense and on multiple occasions throughout their lives, but you cannot choose the the currency accepted in your country in the same way you cannot choose to 'love thy neighbour.'

Use a credit card. It doesn't have pointless slogans written on it.
You finally managed it, congratulations.

Right, so basically you've been arguing in the Shoutbox that American atheists are hypocrites because they pay for things using dollars, which have 'In God We Trust' written on them. So what do you suggest they do instead of using dollars?

Holy shit, just noticed where you posted this. Words fail me.
(January 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: Everyone is a hypocrite in some sense and on multiple occasions throughout their lives, but you cannot choose the the currency accepted in your country in the same way you cannot choose to 'love thy neighbour.'
But "love thy neighbor" is not something you physically handle everyday, but dollar bills "we" do, so the feeling of guilt will be there everytime I buy or pay for something.

For your info, the "WE" means all American citizens.

P.S. Bear with my text style English,I'm on PTSD meds. and speak,read and write in 3 languages.

(January 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Use a credit card. It doesn't have pointless slogans written on it.
All plastic cards still connected to the "all mighty dollars", IN GOD WE TRUST

(January 30, 2012 at 2:18 pm)ElDinero Wrote: You finally managed it, congratulations.

Right, so basically you've been arguing in the Shoutbox that American atheists are hypocrites because they pay for things using dollars, which have 'In God We Trust' written on them. So what do you suggest they do instead of using dollars?

Holy shit, just noticed where you posted this. Words fail me.
What can you suggest?
Leaving and renouncing my country? Will never happen, scratch that $.02 from your book of recommendations.

Why are you obsessing with these little things that dont mean jack shit?
So the money has "in god we trust" on it! ours has a picture of a monarch who represents an outmoded and parasitic relationship with 'commoners', on it, but I dont dont give up using it just because I am against the monarchy.
Money is a useful tool, an to aid living and I would bet that a lot of people wouldnt even know about the religious frippery that was printed on it.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm)walknh2o Wrote: What can you suggest?
Leaving and renouncing my country? Will never happen, scratch that $.02 from your book of recommendations.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm asking what YOU think should happen. You can't choose whether or not you're an atheist. If you don't believe in God, you are one.

So what should these people do instead of using dollars, to avoid being hypocrites?
I think we are dealing with a fanatic here.
An America citizen is one who is qualified to holds an American passport. If you are an real atheist, and you are thus qualified, then you can be a real citizen and a real atheist.
(January 30, 2012 at 2:09 pm)walknh2o Wrote: Well, being an American citizen with "IN GOD WE TRUST" in my wallet, using and reading the text everyday to buy stuffs will dis-qualified me as a real atheist, and become a hypocrite again for the second time?

Do you always do what your money tells you to do?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An atheist can blaspheme god Interaktive 8 1107 December 30, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Lek
  World's first robot citizen an atheist? Mystical 63 19010 February 3, 2018 at 1:40 am
Last Post: iameatingjam
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8573 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9648 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25346 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? athrock 287 41313 February 22, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How can someone convert from Atheist to Religious Heat 65 9512 November 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs? Hezekiah 50 8990 October 5, 2014 at 2:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Can one be Atheist and Superstitious? Goosebump 45 6834 August 28, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  You're not a real Atheist GayAtheist 14 4395 August 25, 2014 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Endo