Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonathon Edwards UK (ex)Athlete
Jonathon Edwards UK (ex)Athlete
World record holder at Triple Jump, famously refused to compete on Sundays until "god" told him he should do so, and grinning christian poster boy, has lost his faith - four years ago apparently.

I only found out because I was you tubing athletics and ended up reliving watching him break the world record, and noticed a couple of comments about him losing god! Confusedhock:

A quick Google brought all the articles up about him quitting as the presenter of Songs Of Praise on BBC due to a crisis in faith which he then lost (I never watch this so never knew). I can't believe I never knew, this guy was as sugary sweet gurning christian as they come.

Well, most of you probably know this already - but for those of you that didn't know this, or forgot - if Jonathon Edwards can deconvert, anybody can!

Keep the (complete lack of) faith!
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

RE: Jonathon Edwards UK (ex)Athlete
well I guess that is a good thing lol. I have seen quire a few people who would be extremely religious and just like a snap become an atheist lol. I'm one.
Me too, though I wouldn't say it happened in an instant. I think the fact that I always hated church as a child had a lot to do with it.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
He went to same school as my cousin.
(January 30, 2012 at 9:22 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: World record holder at Triple Jump, famously refused to compete on Sundays until "god" told him he should do so, and grinning christian poster boy, has lost his faith - four years ago apparently.

I only found out because I was you tubing athletics and ended up reliving watching him break the world record, and noticed a couple of comments about him losing god! Confusedhock:

A quick Google brought all the articles up about him quitting as the presenter of Songs Of Praise on BBC due to a crisis in faith which he then lost (I never watch this so never knew). I can't believe I never knew, this guy was as sugary sweet gurning christian as they come.

Well, most of you probably know this already - but for those of you that didn't know this, or forgot - if Jonathon Edwards can deconvert, anybody can!

Keep the (complete lack of) faith!

I'm quite surprised about this! First I knew about his deconversion was this thread. Gives me hope that if such a prominent and devout Christian like Jonathan Edwards can see the light, there is hope for everyone!
The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true - Carl Sagan
Now if we could only get Tebow to quit making a public spectacle of praying on the sidelines...
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(February 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Now if we could only get Tebow to quit making a public spectacle of praying on the sidelines...

Haha!
The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true - Carl Sagan
It might happen after he's arrested in a hotel room with a couple of hookers and a bag full of blow. I'm just waiting...
(February 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: It might happen after he's arrested in a hotel room with a couple of hookers and a bag full of blow. I'm just waiting...

Naw, he'll just say that it was the work of satan and that god has already sent him a email forgiving him.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Name NFL Athlete Asserts his Atheism FatAndFaithless 41 14077 January 21, 2015 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Chas