Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:41 am

Poll: Could it be said "Activism" is a religion
This poll is closed.
Yes... because most people don't know what they are being "active" about
11.11%
1 11.11%
No... "activism" is a vehicle for those without voices
44.44%
4 44.44%
Maybe... I would need more information
22.22%
2 22.22%
None of the above...and here is why I think this poll is useless
22.22%
2 22.22%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could it be said that "Activism" is a religion?
Could it be said that "Activism" is a religion?
Could it be said that activism (of any flavour) is akin to religion?? The question arose from the Veganism thread ....

reverendjeremiah. Wrote:RE: Veganism?
(Today 09:41)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Could it be said that "Activism" is a religion??)

hmmm...good question. I imagine that people can approach their activism with religious zeal.

I look at the word "activism" to be more of a modifier in that sense. One can be a Christian, and one can be an activist christian. One can be an atheist, another can be an activist atheist.

Good question...sounds like a good topic for another thread Kich

With organisations like PETA,GREENPEACE,ALF,EARTH FIRST,and other enviromental organizations
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: Could it be said that "Activism" is a religion?
No, I do not think activism is a religion. This is what pisses me off: (I know you're excited to hear "what grinds my gears" Wink ) Shitty activist groups give activism a bad name. Being an activist is not necessarily bad at all. It also does not give a voice to the voiceless. Activists have voices. Yes, some of them blindly follow idiotic hypocrites who do more to hurt their cause than to help it, but activism in itself indicates a level of caring and "action" that exceeds that of the average individual. Sadly, people are beginning to equate the term "extremist" with "activist."

One good thing did come out of PETA. The only fucking idiots who did wear manufactured fur coats are celebrities and most of the fucking idiots who campaign for PETA are celebrities. Let that armpit of society figure itself out with the lunatic, hairy-armpitted bitches who yell so hard they spit instead of thinking of something coherent to say in a manner that makes people listen. There is something to be said for saying something with dignity, but when the audience you are trying to reach are the same assholes who murdered divorce rates and made being a drunk whore with your vagina dangling out for all the world to see cool, you have to use a different approach, I guess.
While I have not read (in any depth) the details of the above groups, the news articles relating to the violence associated with these groups "getting their voices heard" and making sure everyone who does not follow them guilty, seems to me to be more religious in nature/ modus operandi. I often wonder if these people have lives, or even understand that there is life, outside their "pet activist project" a bit like religion really in my opinion.

I am of the position that I live my life with my own set of morality, lifestyle, world view, and belief (or lack there of) systems and have no desire to rule, coerce, bully, blackmail, impoverish, disempower or blow up anyone who does not share my understanding of living a good life. I have found something that works for me and I am not about to go on a fucking crusade/ jihad/ evangelistic spree about it. If you like what I do..then that's great; if not then that is great too. I really don't care and am not so insecure that I need 'Safety in Numbers'
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
What you describe is not mere activism. It is extremism. I like to just live my life too. However, there are some things by which people should not simply abide. If an oil company wants to set up shop in my neck of the woods, I might "act" against it. Some things are worth standing up against and everyone has different opinions. Therefore, everyone has a right to be an activist. The problem is when the message becomes violent. Violence is a display of weakness in an activism group. What takes real balls is a life time of letter writing, event throwing, word spreading, hands-on volunteering, etc. It takes a surge of adrenaline to use violence to get your message across -- nothing more. It is the height of stupidity to use violence to gain attention in anything save an emergency situation. Yes, there are some situations that require violent means of grabbing attention, though they are few.
(February 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: No, I do not think activism is a religion. This is what pisses me off: (I know your excited to hear "what grinds my gears" Wink )

No not really sweetheart.

(February 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: Shitty activist groups give activism a bad name.

Thinking They do at that

(February 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: Being an activist is not necessarily bad at all. It also does not give a voice to the voiceless. Activists have voices. Yes, some of them blindly follow idiotic hypocrites who do more to hurt their cause than to help it, but activism in itself indicates a level of caring and "action" that exceeds that of the average individual.

I can view religion in this light. But then people who DO care usually are the ones doing the work rather than as you say blindly follow idiotic hypocrites'

(February 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: Sadly, people are beginning to equate the term "extremist" with "activist."

Only because the "extremists" are using the term

(February 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm)Shell B Wrote: One good thing did come out of PETA. The only fucking idiots who did wear manufactured fur coats are celebrities and most of the fucking idiots who campaign for PETA are celebrities. Let that armpit of society figure itself out with the lunatic, hairy-armpitted bitches who yell so hard they spit instead of thinking of something coherent to say in a manner that makes people listen. There is something to be said for saying something with dignity, but when the audience you are trying to reach are the same assholes who murdered divorce rates and made being a drunk whore with your vagina dangling out for all the world to see cool, you have to use a different approach, I guess.

I have often heard that the 'Animal' in PETA is really irrelevant and as revj has noted that veganism advocated by this group is all about lifestyle. Which I understand to be religious thinking.
(February 3, 2012 at 11:38 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Only because the "extremists" are using the term

Indeed.

Religion absolutely requires a worldview. Veganism is not a worldview. As you said, it is a lifestyle.

Activism is a little ridiculous at times, but that does not make it religion.

Just my opinion, kich.
SellB Wrote:Just my opinion, kich.

And that is what this thread is about...how people here view "Activism" ...Thanks darlin Heart
My pleasure. Big Grin
i voted "Maybe". I can see where activism can sometimes skirt very close to a religious feeling and character.

Wikipedia Wrote:Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that establishes symbols that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.[1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, traditions and sacred histories that are intended to give meaning to life or to explain the origin of life or the universe. They tend to derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle from their ideas about the cosmos and human nature.

An abortion or anti-abortion activist as a type of religion? No, it just doesnt fit into that definition at all.

An atheist activist? They have no official symbols, they DISCOURAGE relating to spirituality, they dont push a common moral heritage other than poining out that atheists can still hold all kinds of morals WITHOUT religion. Atheism has no dogma of meaning of life or origin of the universe inherent within its membership other than the lack of a deified agency. Atheism has no lifestyal derived from a cosmology as atheism is devoid of a cosmology. It merely says "godless".

PETA - their cultural, belief system and world view is all about living "animal free". People must stop eating animals, and products from animals, including medical discoveries that were tested on animals, such as artificial hearts and innoculations. Animals must be given the maximum amount of freedom possible. PETA does not necesarily have a spirituality but they are definitely based in "morals and ethics"

People for the ETHICAL treatment of Animals.

So yes they have a moral world view. They have no narratives or sacred traditions intended to give meaning of life... they really have no origin stories or ideas that I know of.

So, I can see where SOME Peta people can kind of brush against being called a "religion", PETA in and of itself is not a religion. Some of these PETA people make it the job of their lives, and everything and anything that revolves around them has something to do with animal freedom or the PETA beliefs to them.
Activism is not a religion in any sense of the term. Do they sometimes have mannerisms and methods that remind people of religion? Sure. But activism is merely nothing more than people fighting for a political cause. It is a term to describe political action, not beliefs. There can be religions using activism, philosophies using activism, and any other type of group or persons using activism. But activism itself is never a religion, it is merely a political term.

Asking if activism is a religion would be the same as asking if debate is a religion. It is a nonsensical question; they are concepts in and of themselves, just like religion is. Activists who are fighting on behalf of religion are just that: religious activists. It is not the concept of activism that is ever the religion, but the religion itself.
[Image: sig3-2.jpg]