Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 6:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Economics book recommendations
Economics book recommendations
Would anybody have any good recommendations on introductory works on both the Keynesian and Austrian economic schools. I am interesting in knowing enough about both to weigh them up and see if I can say which one is the better.
undefined
RE: Economics book recommendations
(February 5, 2012 at 8:54 am)Justtristo Wrote: Would anybody have any good recommendations on introductory works on both the Keynesian and Austrian economic schools. I am interesting in knowing enough about both to weigh them up and see if I can say which one is the better.

Macro or micro? If you ever find an introductory economics textbook trying to fit both into the same 1000 level course, it's being oversimplified.
[Image: sig3-2.jpg]
(February 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm)RW_9 Wrote: Macro or micro? If you ever find an introductory economics textbook trying to fit both into the same 1000 level course, it's being oversimplified.

Actuallly I am looking for books which already assume the reader knows basic micro and macroeconomics.
undefined
If you already know the basics and want to focus on differentiating Keynesian and Austrian, I would recommend studying the history of economics as a whole instead of focusing on basic textbooks. Individual textbooks, especially in the social sciences, are heavily dependent upon the historical perspective of the editors and authors compiling the book. It is easier to start progressing into the specific perspectives (Keynesian, etc) by actually studying the authors who started them, then move on to modern interpretations and progress afterwards.

So what I'm saying is go read Keynes and Hayek themselves.
[Image: sig3-2.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Now Who Knew Economics Could Be So "Complicated?" Minimalist 2 866 April 9, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Would This Be The Only Book In Drumpf's Minimalist 2 680 November 2, 2016 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  New Book On Drumpf Minimalist 2 545 August 21, 2016 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Probably A Great Book. Minimalist 0 543 April 17, 2015 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  "Yahweh To Hell" by Rich Woods NEW BOOK. Brian37 0 833 April 5, 2015 at 5:52 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Mississippi wants Bible as the official state book Strider 69 12701 February 1, 2015 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Elskidor
  Bar stool economics Heywood 35 5173 November 13, 2014 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  the green book DramaQueen 1 724 September 9, 2014 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  The Worst School of Economics EgoRaptor 3 1374 January 28, 2014 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  The most popular book among Guantanamo inmates is... wwjs 3 1155 July 31, 2013 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist