Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hello
hello
Emiliano Zapata here. I'm an atheist and I have a strong dislike for religion. I was raised Christian. Baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran church, but I've come to my senses and rejected all that since.
RE: hello
(September 7, 2008 at 5:26 pm)Zapata Wrote: Emiliano Zapata here. I'm an atheist and I have a strong dislike for religion. I was raised Christian. Baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran church, but I've come to my senses and rejected all that since.

Why dislike? If you're an atheist then you believe that its all nonsense, correct? I used to believe in Santa Claus but now I don't. But I don't hate Santa or Christmas. Wink
(September 7, 2008 at 5:26 pm)Zapata Wrote: Emiliano Zapata here. I'm an atheist and I have a strong dislike for religion. I was raised Christian. Baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran church, but I've come to my senses and rejected all that since.

Welcome aboard fellow atheist. I myself being an atheist, Just a very strong one.Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(September 7, 2008 at 5:33 pm)Pete Wrote: Why dislike? If you're an atheist then you believe that its all nonsense, correct? I used to believe in Santa Claus but now I don't. But I don't hate Santa or Christmas. Wink
Religion exists, it can be disliked, just as people can dislike governments. I don't like the way religion controls people and tricks them into believing things that are anti-social, discriminatory, and just plain wrong.
(September 7, 2008 at 5:52 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Religion exists, it can be disliked, just as people can dislike governments. I don't like the way religion controls people and tricks them into believing things that are anti-social, discriminatory, and just plain wrong.
And I don't like the way children are lied to about a jolly man in a red suit. Nor do I like their disappointment when they learn that they've been lied to be the parents that they trusted implicitly.
(September 7, 2008 at 7:57 pm)Pete Wrote:
(September 7, 2008 at 5:52 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Religion exists, it can be disliked, just as people can dislike governments. I don't like the way religion controls people and tricks them into believing things that are anti-social, discriminatory, and just plain wrong.
And I don't like the way children are lied to about a jolly man in a red suit. Nor do I like their disappointment when they learn that they've been lied to be the parents that they trusted implicitly.

Are you saying Christians have the mentality of Children?
(September 7, 2008 at 7:57 pm)Pete Wrote:
Perhaps you understand how I felt at the age of 11 when I realised my church had lied to me then.
I hate religion because of the bigotry, condemnation, and self-righteousness of it all.
Welcome Zapata. Big Grin

(September 8, 2008 at 5:22 am)Tiberius Wrote: Perhaps you understand how I felt at the age of 11 when I realised my church had lied to me then.

XD You realized at 11? Damn, it took me too long. I figured it out at 16. Undecided
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I found out the truth about santa at the age of 7. Didn't heart knowing the truth....Since I already had doubts.Big Grin

I guess once your lied to the first time, you become more skeptical about another claim. Santa, the fat bastard that you never see, God, another big bastard also something you don't see.

(You fooled me once but you won't fool me again!....Opps actually I was fooled again by the tooth fairy, and the easter bunny....ok you fooled me 3 times but you won't fool me again!)
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5965 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3632 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates