Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious families
Religious families
How does one deal with being the only Atheist in a family of strong Christians. I am the only Atheist in a family of very committed Christians. My father is the Pastor of a church, my Mother is a Pastors wife (Yes that is her "title"), my sister is big in her Church, in fact when she finished school, she volunteered for a Church for an entire year before heading to Uni, my Grandparents both attend my parents church every week, and then there's me. When I lived at home it was especially difficult being an atheist, as I was confronted with information that to me, really just sounded uneducated and stupid, ALL THE TIME. It is impossible to have a coherent conversation with my Father without the underlying message of WHATEVER he is saying relating God or Jesus or being "Christian". It's easier now that I've left home, but it still puts a big strain on any relationship I could ever have with my parents. Is there anyone else out there in a similar situation? How do you handle it?
RE: Religious families
Most people live lives of quiet desperation picto
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 28, 2012 at 4:29 am)picto90 Wrote: How does one deal with being the only Atheist in a family of strong Christians. I am the only Atheist in a family of very committed Christians. My father is the Pastor of a church, my Mother is a Pastors wife (Yes that is her "title"), my sister is big in her Church, in fact when she finished school, she volunteered for a Church for an entire year before heading to Uni, my Grandparents both attend my parents church every week, and then there's me. When I lived at home it was especially difficult being an atheist, as I was confronted with information that to me, really just sounded uneducated and stupid, ALL THE TIME. It is impossible to have a coherent conversation with my Father without the underlying message of WHATEVER he is saying relating God or Jesus or being "Christian". It's easier now that I've left home, but it still puts a big strain on any relationship I could ever have with my parents. Is there anyone else out there in a similar situation? How do you handle it?
It's easy. Ask me how I came to be the only panturkist/nationalist in a mostly non-political family(I'm talking on small terms, not my big family that includes my grandparents, uncles, aunts, and many of my cousins, where I have two cousins who swore an oath along with me.)?
And my father was an ex-commie who likes certain individuals that I absolutely detest, although we have certain individuals that we both like.

If I were something really so high off, like, if I were an Islamist, I'd probably face something more severe, as I and my father have not talked to each other for a month over an argument of some communist who was hanged years ago.
Then we made up, and are even on better terms now, since the subject is now a matter of joke.

[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(February 28, 2012 at 5:58 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Most people live lives of quiet desperation picto

True
My family was always devout catholics, but never forced me to go to church once I decided it was all bullshit and I had better things to do (like sleeping late at Sundays). Sure we had our arguments, but I've beaten them so hard with the hand of reason, they now just avoid the subject in my presence. All good for me, we now talk about more concrete subjects Big Grin
What age are you picto??

Does it really matter what your family believe?? Or are you self sufficient enough to live without them??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
You think its bad now, wait until you have a kid....and watch just how sneaky your family can get, and just how pushy they can get as well.

I had my sister in law tell me "you cant raise your kids atheist!"...you're going to have the same problem times 1,000.

Perhaps it is best that you move VERY far away from your family.
(February 28, 2012 at 8:30 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: What age are you picto??

Does it really matter what your family believe?? Or are you self sufficient enough to live without them??

I am but the humble age of 21. My parents live on another continent and for the most part I never speak to them. My parents are suspicious, but not completely aware of my beliefs, and thus far I've been too afraid to lure them out of there ignorant bliss as I'm sure that doing so will permanently ruin the already broken relationship we have. To be honest, and I'm sure this sounds heartless, but I've been much better off without them and I don't really miss them. I guess I just feel guilty. Whilst they may have shoved religion down my gullet as a child, they were never anything but kind and I feel like I owe them a chance, but I simply can't speak to them without becoming suddenly overwhelmed with frustration at their ignorance and there inability to see things any other way.
(February 28, 2012 at 8:44 am)reverendjeremiah Wrote: You think its bad now, wait until you have a kid....and watch just how sneaky your family can get, and just how pushy they can get as well.

I had my sister in law tell me "you cant raise your kids atheist!"...you're going to have the same problem times 1,000.

Perhaps it is best that you move VERY far away from your family.

I've seen that coming and fear I may have to limit Little Picto's time with Granny and Grandpa, should he/she ever come into being.
(February 28, 2012 at 8:28 am)LastPoet Wrote: My family was always devout catholics, but never forced me to go to church once I decided it was all bullshit and I had better things to do (like sleeping late at Sundays). Sure we had our arguments, but I've beaten them so hard with the hand of reason, they now just avoid the subject in my presence. All good for me, we now talk about more concrete subjects Big Grin

Oh, how I envy you!
My parents were very laid back Christians that didn't even preach to others, including me, so when I told them I didn't believe, it wasn't a big deal. They never made go back to church and that was that.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Why do you mind them talking about their faith while you are around? Just wondering.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12772 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus