Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Speaking In Tongues
Speaking In Tongues
The whole concept scares the crap out of me. I'm usually a little weary of someone's character if I know they are religious, but if I ever met someone who claims to have spoken in tongues, I'm not even sure what I would do. Definitely not associate with them.

Creepy stuff.
RE: Speaking In Tongues
It's weird how a few hundred years ago, speaking in tongues would have got you burned for witchcraft...
Yes! It's also pretty hilarious how it only really became popular in the last 100 years or so, and follows a very clear pattern in regards to it's spread and rise in popularity.

It's so obviously full of shit it's astonishing.
Last time I checked I am pretty sure you need 1 tounge to speek. To me this sounds a bit like religius opression against freedom of speech. Please explain more on this topic as I don't quite understand.
Is "Sonic the Hedgehog" a religion?
It's actually hard to explain without sounding like I'm making it up.

It's biggest within Pentecostal Christian sects (which accounts for 30 million americans!), and is basically people who "feel the holy spirit" and start babbling random nonsense syllables. It's mentioned a handful of times in the Bible.

If you search Youtube for "speaking in tongues" I'm sure you'll find more than enough video footage of this strange phenomenon.
(September 7, 2008 at 7:08 pm)Meatball Wrote: It's actually hard to explain without sounding like I'm making it up.

lol Scientology

Well I am familiar with this "Toung2 thing, just never looked into it.

You can tlak to snakes and they think your a freak.
Is "Sonic the Hedgehog" a religion?
So *that's* what the woman was saying in the documentary 'Jesus Camp'. She broke out in what I assumed at the time was a foreign biblical language (and she seemed incredibly prowd of her single line performance) and my partner and I laughed pretty darned hard. In retrospect, she was obviously making it up. Reading between the 'lines', it sounds like a cry for attention "Look at me, I'm important, the holy spirit speaks through me!"
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
speaking in tongues is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I laugh my arse off everytime I hear it.

Religious nutters!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Habal-bababa-lalalalalala-shishishi-dadadada!!!
(September 8, 2008 at 6:23 am)Tiberius Wrote: Habal-bababa-lalalalalala-shishishi-dadadada!!!

How dare you talk about my mother like that!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speaking of a 930 year old Adam popeyespappy 3 2109 November 28, 2012 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist