Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lovecraft
Lovecraft
I read a bit of Lovecraft when I was very young. 'Cursed' with a high reading level, but not always aided in comprehension or appreciation, I bit off more than I could chew with a few authors, Lovecraft being one, and now I'm trying to go back and explore them.

During my recent trip to DC I binged on this podcast as a supplement, which is now giving me something of a format for reading his pieces.

[Image: hpllp-hd2.png]

http://hppodcraft.com/

I thought I'd share it. The guys are pretty nerdy, but they get funnier as you go along, and I find it's much easier to enjoy a book when "discussing" it with other people who already enjoy it. (Jane Austen novels get a LOT of shit, but I discovered a couple weekends ago that by explaining a few things from the point of view as a woman who adores them, the guy who was disparaging them had a change of heart.)

So, lovers, newcomers, people who only know about him because of the Necronomicon in Army of Darkness (a worthy introduction in its own right)... Let this be the Lovecraft tribute thread hereafter.

[Image: aod55.gif]
"Groovy"

Also, I'm including the transcript for the VERY good interview Monster Talk did with both Robert Price and PZ Myers having to do with all things Lovecraft and Cthulu.

http://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstert...ranscript/

Bob also did a similar interview of S.T. Joshi at Point of Inquiry - somewhat more dry, but with a more atheistic bent.

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/st_joshi_f...eethought/

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Lovecraft
Groovy.
When I made it, I made it for you.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I was browsing Netflix not long ago and found a silent movie version of "Call of Cthulhu" made a few years ago. Campy but entertaining.
I bought a collection of 72 books and stories of the mythos...
I'm about twenty hours in, and almost done.

I have to say, the lore is startling in its complexity. I've read thousands of pages, and I'm almost done with 72 works, but it still feels like more is hidden than revealed.
I'm a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft. I see him as the 20th century's version of Edgar Allen Poe in a sense. Good stuff.
You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

Buddha FSM Grin

(April 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm)R-e-n-n-a-t Wrote: I bought a collection of 72 books and stories of the mythos...

I have to say, the lore is startling in its complexity. I've read thousands of pages, and I'm almost done with 72 works, but it still feels like more is hidden than revealed.

72 books in 20 hours? I'm not even that fast a reader!
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(April 2, 2012 at 11:04 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(April 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm)R-e-n-n-a-t Wrote: I bought a collection of 72 books and stories of the mythos...

Books and stories. Big Grin
Some of those things are only 20 pages or so.

My limit is about a page per 30 seconds. 72 books x400 pages /20 hours /60 minutes would require a speed of 24 pages per minute. That's a little too fast for me.
(April 2, 2012 at 11:45 pm)R-e-n-n-a-t Wrote:

Meh. I could out-read that. Razz
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
(April 2, 2012 at 11:49 pm)Aegrus Wrote:
(April 2, 2012 at 11:45 pm)R-e-n-n-a-t Wrote:

Meh. I could out-read that. Razz

Badger
Bring it. Badger-skunk thing says bring it.
We have already begun the victory teabagging!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So I'm finally reading a work by Lovecraft GrandizerII 18 2179 October 15, 2019 at 5:58 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Howard Phillips Lovecraft EgoRaptor 5 971 December 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: TudorGothicSerpent