Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
lrh9 From atheistforums.com
lrh9 From atheistforums.com
Hello. I've been a long time member at atheistforums.com under the same user name. I'm interested in this forum primarily to increase my involvement with online atheist communities. I'm an agnostic atheist. I believe that there are no such things as ghosts, spirits, or souls. I'm skeptical about most other supernatural phenomena and cryptids. My primary interests are computer programming, operating systems development, and artificial intelligence.
RE: lrh9 From atheistforums.com
Hi there and welcome.

I'm more a networking and systems administrator myself, and I build robots with and without problem solving capabilites, no AI though.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Greetings! Good to see you! Welcome to the forums!

May I start of perhaps (if you don't mind) by asking, just out of curiousity, by strong atheist do you mean like GNOSTIC, claming to KNOW that there are no Gods whatsoever? - If that's you, if so, I ask or you: How you can claim to KNOW that there are no God's when God is not disproved?

You can't prove a negative - it's a logical fallacy. To claim to actually absolutely 'KNOW' that there is no God is a logical fallacy.

Strong atheist, interesting. Well I'm a strong atheist but NOT in the GNOSTIC sense - I'm strong in the sense I am very certain God doesn't exist BUT NOT absolutely.

That I think is a logical fallacy. I believe it is ALMOST certain God does not exist.

EvF
(May 15, 2009 at 10:57 am)leo-rcc Wrote: I build robots with and without problem solving capabilites, no AI though.
Technically speaking, any robot with problem solving capabilities has some form of AI.

Welcome to the forums, I'm also into computer programming, and I like developing programs for Linux.
(May 15, 2009 at 11:08 am)lrh9 Wrote: I'm a gnostic atheist by process of attribution. Enough critical phenomena have been attributed to causes other than god that there is no god according to the definition of god.

Hmm, can you elaborate perhaps?

How do you define "God"?

I define God as 'the supernatural creator of the universe' - and you cannot prove his non-existence because that's a logical fallacy. He's 'just' extremely improbable and almost certainly doesn't exist Tongue.

How do you define him?

EvF
For me the topic of god is moot. I am certain that I have no soul. So I don't really care if there is a god or not.
Fair enough. I care - not for practical reason. I just find knowledge and ignorance interesting, truth and untruth. I like to know things rather than be ignorant EVEN IF they have no practical application whatsoever - it interests me, I like it.

Fair enough though. Up 2 you of course (I mean duh).

EvF
Maybe I jumped the gun a bit in claiming to know that there was no god.

However, I can be certain that I have no soul due to neuroscience.

Which has sufficiently proven to me, according to observable evidence - both empirical and anecdotal - that my existence is the product of my brain.

That is why I generally don't care to debate the question of god and feel confident enough to say with certainty that there is no god whether it is or is not proven because it is really irrelevant to my situation. The traditional stick and carrot of hell and heaven that theists use to attempt to coerce or persuade me has no sway because both of those things depend on me having a soul to be either punished or rewarded.

God can't touch me. So I don't really care.
(May 15, 2009 at 9:37 pm)lrh9 Wrote: The traditional stick and carrot of hell and heaven that theists use to attempt to coerce or persuade me has no sway because both of those things depend on me having a soul to be either punished or rewarded.

God can't touch me. So I don't really care.

You've not considered real faith yet then? Devil

Just kidding! Wink

Welcome aboard!
In my view there is no such thing as an agnostic atheist, you're either theist (with a god) or atheist (without) and being one or the other carries no philosophical implications. Theists get those from religions and atheists from whatever ideology they subscribe to.

Welcome to the forum though Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Transferred here from atheistforums.com Big Blue Sky 22 5678 May 23, 2013 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Hello atheistforums.org JSRWizkey 13 3819 June 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: joe terlizzi