Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 12:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality from God
Morality from God
Theists like to boast that their morality is from god. I will like to share an incident that took place in my country a few years ago.

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=127064

Quote:He said that if Abraham could sacrifice his son Isaac as stated in the Bible then he would also sacrifice his daughter as an offering to save his family and district ... spiritually."

Do you think this is moral? This guy probably believed it was god's wish to kill his daughter.

Do you think Deuteronomy 21:18-21, Leviticus 27:1-7 , Leviticus 21:9, Exodus 21:7-10, 19:24-25, etc are moral teachings of god?

And theists, answer this question with only a YES or a NO! Would you rape your daughter if your God told you to?
RE: Morality from God
(March 11, 2012 at 6:16 am)Forsaken Wrote: And theists, answer this question with only a YES or a NO! Would you rape your daughter if your God told you to?
They've tried to escape that question before by arguing "But God would never command that!" and when forced to return to answering the 'WHAT IF' question they usually foam at the mouth with cognitive dissonance at the dilemma.

Interestingly, they never offer 'committing suicide when they comprehend their God is wholly and utterly immoral' as an answer.
When they evade the question or make up excuses, I think it means they really would do it if they thought god told them. That's worrying....

"Those who can believe in absurdities can commit atrocities".

If they would do anything god told them, that makes them mindless zombies.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
On a slightly diferent but related subject, if god was the arbiter of all morality then morality would be the same everywhere but it is not.
In papua new guinea it was acceptable to eat people, their morality was different.
in most of africa ladies did not wear things on their tops in contrast to european morality.
and it goes on.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

That assumes god gives a shit about "everywhere" which he emphatically does not, by anyone's little myths. For supremely powerful lords of the cosmos, they're generally fairly small, with a specific focus group.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 11, 2012 at 6:16 am)Forsaken Wrote: And theists, answer this question with only a YES or a NO! Would you rape your daughter if your God told you to?

When I was a theist, my answer to this would be NO. Why, because I wouldn't believe God actually wants me to do it, and is rather seeing if I think he seriously wants me to do that. I would take it as a test.

There would be the "inner messenger" telling me not do it, which is God's command, and then "words", but I think the inner messenger is the light of God and speaks of God's will in more binding way..so it has more authority then "words".
In other words, you couldn't answer the question, you'd have to create your own question and then offer the answer to that as though it were the answer to this.

Dissonance.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm)Rhythm Wrote: In other words, you couldn't answer the question, you'd have to create your own question and then offer the answer to that as though it were the answer to this.

I answered the question, I would say NO.

Because god would not command such a thing. But, again, the question asks you what you would do if he did. It isn't a test, it isn't a miscommunication. He absolutely exists, and he wants you to rape your daughter.
(March 11, 2012 at 1:05 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Because god would not command such a thing. But, again, the question asks you what you would do if he did.

The question is if God told me to do it. And I said no, I would not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33220 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3394 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 31102 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Morality quiz, and objective moralities robvalue 14 4504 January 31, 2016 at 7:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religion is a poor source of morality Cecelia 117 17108 October 10, 2015 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How flexible is your religious morality? robvalue 24 7329 August 12, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Ultimate" meaning, "objective" morality, and "inherent" worth. Esquilax 6 3636 June 25, 2015 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4934 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Supposed Theist Morality Striper 26 7312 November 5, 2014 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19484 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie