Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
physics / maths
physics / maths
There any real evidence that infinity exists such as
a mathematical proof for example : and if there is not
then is it not therefore presumptuous and unscientific for
a mathematician or physicist to automatically assume it does

According to Einsteins Special Theory Of Relativity nothing
can travel faster than light : galaxies however are accelerating
from each other beyond that speed : this does not violate Relativity
but since we are part of one such galaxy it follows that any movement
within it must also be beyond light speed : if moving in the same direction
So as I sit here typing this out I must be moving at beyond light speed too : in
the same way that I am also moving at 67 000 mph as that is the rotational axis
speed of Earth : if this reasoning however is not logical then where exactly is the flaw

Has time always been linear and if not why
And why cannot it have existed before the Big Bang
What is the difference between a Theory a Law and a Principle
Why is it that infinity minus infinity should equal infinity instead of zero
If time can exist in a Universe that is devoid of matter how can it be measured
Why cannot the Theory Of Gravity be referenced in the equation of the Standard Model
If only four elementary particles are needed to create a Universe what purpose do the rest serve

How can one infinity which is quantitatively less than another infinity still be infinitive :
such as for example the infinity of positive numbers compared to the infinity of all numbers

This letter has appeared in Psychology Now : Is it true as it infers Einstein is wrong :
I think Professor Tallis is right to be suspicious in Issue 87 of the mathematicians habit of
treating their tools as though they were real : A good example is Special Relativity, accounts of
which give the impression that time slows or speeds up according to your relative velocity : it doesn t
What we experience is due to atoms exchanging messenger particles the most familiar of which are photons :
That particles of light travel at the speed of light is a tautology but if the recipient is travelling at the speed of light
a message will never arrive : With out an exchange of particles nothing happens : atomic clocks for instance don t tick

A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
RE: physics / maths
(March 13, 2012 at 5:42 am)twocompulsive Wrote: A good example is Special Relativity, accounts of
which give the impression that time slows or speeds up according to your relative velocity : it doesn t

I'm no physicist, but I'm pretty sure that it does.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(March 13, 2012 at 5:42 am)twocompulsive Wrote: How can one infinity which is quantitatively less than another infinity still be infinitive :
such as for example the infinity of positive numbers compared to the infinity of all numbers
All numbers? Reals? Hyperreals? Cardinals? Ordinals? Surreals? Complex Numbers? P-Adics too?
I assume you mean reals, and you're talking about Cantor's diagonalization proof. I'm sure others
might to insist the cardinalities do genuinely exist, or don't in some fashion. Even if you think infinity
is an ill-defined non-concept, when we talk about unlimited sets, etc., this forms an order relation on sets:
"A =< B" iff A can be mapped injectively into B. By Cantor's logic, this relation need not be symmetric. It should
be immediately obvious that this relation must be transitive (just compose the injections). Even if you think different
'sizes of infinity' should not exist, this is a statement about sets. Even if 'the set of real numbers' is just an flourish of
language, without any content, we have a positive result: there is a sense in which some open-ended flourishes of language
are "bigger", or "more open-ended" than others. Do Cardinalities really exist? I don't know, and in a sense, it doesn't exactly
matter. Cardinalities are an incredibly useful abstraction. If their assumption does not lead to any contradiction, the results about
"existing" numbers that I can access via cardinalities will still be true. On the other point: in what sense does a non-maximal infinity
fail to be 'infinitive'? There is no reason a priori why the unlimited should also be absolute, beyond the fact that our existence is finite.
So these philosophers were all like, "That Kant apply universally!" And then these mathematicians were all like, "Oh yes it Kan!"
(March 13, 2012 at 5:42 am)twocompulsive Wrote: There any real evidence that infinity exists such as
What evidence is there that an infinity doesn't exist? For example, take a number line. Just a small section of the positive side between numbers one and two. How many points are there between them?
Quote:According to Einsteins Special Theory Of Relativity nothing
can travel faster than light
Wrong.
Quote: : galaxies however are accelerating
from each other beyond that speed : this does not violate Relativity
Correct but that really has nothing to do with Special Relativity and space expanding does not violate anything regardless of it's speed.
Quote:but since we are part of one such galaxy
The redshift of the milky Way was measured? How? By whom? When? How did we travel outside the galaxy in order to measure it?
Quote:it follows that any movement
within it must also be beyond light speed
If the Milky Way was moving above light speed but it isn't
Quote: : if moving in the same direction
So as I sit here typing this out I must be moving at beyond light speed too
The Milky Way is not moving over light speed. It is really not difficult to figure that out.
Quote: : in
the same way that I am also moving at 67 000 mph as that is the rotational axis
speed of Earth
Yes, you are moving at 66600 MPH relative to the sun.
Quote:: if this reasoning however is not logical then where exactly is the flaw
The idiotic assertion that the Milky Way is receding at above light speed as it's cosmological redshift has never been measured and can't be measured unless one is outside the galaxy. FYI, the further out galaxies are the faster they are moving. Anyway, if you were in one of those fast moving galaxies, the answer is no. You would not be exceeding the speed of light.

Quote:If only four elementary particles are needed to create a Universe what purpose do the rest serve
You have Quarks, Leptons, Gauge Bosons and the soon to be found Higgs Boson. What other elementary particles do you have in mind and what are they?
Quote: A good example is Special Relativity, accounts of
Time is effected by speed as well as gravity.

The woo is strong with this one...

edit: Galaxies are not accelerating. It's space that is expanding. Kinda surprised you missed that, actually, judging from your post, I bet it was intentional.
Sorry, but you shall not add your speed to the speed of light.
(March 13, 2012 at 5:42 am)twocompulsive Wrote: There any real evidence that infinity exists such as
Theoretically speaking, a gravitational singularity such as a black hole, where the object is incredibly small yet has infinite density is an example, its also a mathematical singularity, but we can't know for certain because this is the point where physical theory breaks down and renders mathematics meaningless.

We don't yet know what a singularity is, or what its made of, if anything.

Quote:According to Einsteins Special Theory Of Relativity nothing
can travel faster than light : galaxies however are accelerating
from each other beyond that speed
Am I doing your homework for you or something? You have the Internet otherwise you wouldn't be here. Look it up. Google is your friend, showing you the door to knowledge.
But we can concieve of infinity therefore it must exist!

Joking by the way.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Foucault pendulum in the Kirchhoff Institute for Physics. Jehanne 1 533 January 30, 2022 at 12:06 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Real Life Physics Puzzles onlinebiker 23 2016 July 15, 2019 at 9:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Physics and life Brian37 3 973 December 4, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Questions about Physics, Biology and perspective bennyboy 14 2682 June 23, 2016 at 5:34 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Theoretical physics shows "irreducible complexity" arguments invalid. Rampant.A.I. 40 7014 May 10, 2014 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Heywood