Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God heals through modern medicine?
God heals through modern medicine?
Ya know sometimes I feel like Homer Simpson. Douh! Here's why. In modern fundy churches they have preached for quite some time that god heals through the efforts of doctors and modern medicine. Exactly how they say this is done is a bit complicated and I won't go into it (it's bullshit anyway). It's the irony that just occurred to me. When you heal due to going to a doctor and getting medicine you are supposed to praise god for it. Technically though you are actually going against your belief and/or blaspheming god in order to get healed and then praising god that you got healed. This makes no sense.

The specifics of this is varied and complicated but I think you get the gist. If I take a new antibiotic to fight an antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria (yeah I got this idea from a DarkMatter2525 video) and that medicine cures me should I praise god? What about the doctor that must believe in the theory of evolution in order to be a doctor? Or the scientific advancements that were built on knowledge that at one time challenged the church. What about the ones that do today. I could go on about this.

My point is still the Homer Simpson thing. Dough! Confused
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: God heals through modern medicine?
Par for the course, god can't get shit done himself, which is why dutiful believers have been picking up the slack for as long as they have been describing his completely unimpressive "power".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Well God heals in mysterious ways... and for some reason only when there is a possibility that something else could have done the healing... Take out the ambiguity and he won't touch that shit.
There are a great many hard working overly stress medical practitioners in the world today...god is nothing by comparison.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 15, 2012 at 10:08 am)picto90 Wrote: Well God heals in mysterious ways...

Yes, medicine is sooooo mysterious.
So are bacteria...just sayin Dodgy
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I think the opposite sex is mysterious.
(March 15, 2012 at 10:24 am)SophiaGrace Wrote: I think the opposite sex is mysterious.

Why?? They are no different to you and I...oh hang on...blokes DO THINK a bit differently to Females.

How old are you??
You might as condense that to "Modern medicine does the healing, God does the shitting"
(March 15, 2012 at 12:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: You might as condense that to "Modern medicine does the healing, God does the shitting"

Unless you invoke God to help out, in which case he likes to fuck with you by killing off the object of your prayer.

Source: Templeton Foundation Study into Prayer and Recovery, Templeton Foundation, Time Magazine(PDF).

Those that expected prayer AND received it had the greatest number of complications.

I do however respect Templetons honesty in publishing those results to be examined without trying to "fiddle" or deny the results like certain other faith based "scientific" institutions. (Heres looking at you Discovery Institute).

Obviously just standard deviation from the norm, but more to the point, no direct effect, so God now retreats to being "inspirational".

The God's "box".. gets smaller and smaller.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The founding fathers/mothers of Modern Atheism/Liberalism. Nishant Xavier 66 4247 August 6, 2023 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are Atheists in America ok with cannibalism through consent Kaloomi 67 10931 June 23, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Let's create an eternal blissful life through science FreeAtheist 18 4797 October 12, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is the name for modern atheists? bambi_swag 63 12464 October 4, 2015 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  An Important Recap on Modern Scholarship Minimalist 11 2297 August 31, 2014 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  One final attempt to try and get through to you guys JesusLover1 153 17603 March 1, 2014 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Mr. Moncrieff
  Christians please view this all the way through Manowar 0 958 February 27, 2014 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Manowar
  Medicine isn't for poor people BrokenQuill92 7 2030 January 31, 2014 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Darth
  what is our stance on holistic medicine? leodeo 41 10095 November 9, 2013 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: festive1
  The Forest Through The Trees Katiegal 1 671 March 19, 2013 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger