Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did No One See This?!
Did No One See This?!
http://www.statepress.com/2012/03/12/sen...tive-bill/

Quote:The Senate Judiciary Committee voted 6-2 Monday to endorse a controversial bill that would allow Arizona employers the right to deny health insurance coverage for contraceptives based on religious objections.

Arizona House Bill 2625, authored by Majority Whip Debbie Lesko, R-Glendale, would permit employers to ask their employees for proof of medical prescription if they seek contraceptives for non-reproductive purposes, such as hormone control or acne treatment.

“I believe we live in America. We don’t live in the Soviet Union,” Lesko said. “So, government should not be telling the organizations or mom and pop employers to do something against their moral beliefs.”
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Did No One See This?!
I don't get it. Just because contraceptive drugs exist doesn't mean they have to use them! If they think its immoral don't fucking use them!?
Hmm may have not read it properly

Meh.
Just saw it this morning and was thinking about posting it. It's complete and utter bollocks. From what I've heard, manhy things like this will going on in an attempt to erode and eventionally turnover Roe v. Wad.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I've used this example before, Insanity: my Jewish aunt works for a nunnery. She is their benefits manager/hr manager.

If the nuns and catholic employees don't want to take contraception, that's their lookout. However, it is not fair to deny a Jew (or anyone else) coverage simply because their beliefs don't align. If they didn't like it, they should have hired a catholic to work for them. Which is religious discrimination in a way - and also who's to say that a Catholic within that church wouldn't also need contraception?

It's fucking bullshit.
(March 16, 2012 at 9:05 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: I've used this example before, Insanity: my Jewish aunt works for a nunnery. She is their benefits manager/hr manager.

If the nuns and catholic employees don't want to take contraception, that's their lookout. However, it is not fair to deny a Jew (or anyone else) coverage simply because their beliefs don't align. If they didn't like it, they should have hired a catholic to work for them. Which is religious discrimination in a way - and also who's to say that a Catholic within that church wouldn't also need contraception?

It's fucking bullshit.

I totally agree. I just half read it the first post and had to re-read. Smile

You can guarantee that if somebody refused to serve Christians certain goods because of their religious beliefs there would be trouble.
People have the right to believe, however, they do not have the right to force anyone else to live the lifestyle they see fit

Apparently the government now owns all women's uterus.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Just Arizona's for now.

I can't see a law like this having any possibility of being implemented. This would be against HIPPA laws which are so severe, a hospital employee can not even call you by name without your consent. Could you imagine this bypassing that? I used to joke with the nurses that HIPPA is getting so bad they were going to have to put patient photos on the charts instead of their names.
(March 16, 2012 at 8:47 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: http://www.statepress.com/2012/03/12/sen...tive-bill/

Quote:The Senate Judiciary Committee voted 6-2 Monday to endorse a controversial bill that would allow Arizona employers the right to deny health insurance coverage for contraceptives based on religious objections.

Arizona House Bill 2625, authored by Majority Whip Debbie Lesko, R-Glendale, would permit employers to ask their employees for proof of medical prescription if they seek contraceptives for non-reproductive purposes, such as hormone control or acne treatment.

“I believe we live in America. We don’t live in the Soviet Union,” Lesko said. “So, government should not be telling the organizations or mom and pop employers to do something against their moral beliefs.”

Oh yeah. I read it. The right wing has got its newspeak down pact.
(March 16, 2012 at 9:26 am)Phil Wrote: I can't see a law like this having any possibility of being implemented. This would be against HIPPA laws which are so severe, a hospital employee can not even call you by name without your consent. Could you imagine this bypassing that? I used to joke with the nurses that HIPPA is getting so bad they were going to have to put patient photos on the charts instead of their names.

Employers are only tenuously bound by HIPAA.

The really dumb thing about this law is you can just lie to them. They have no legal way of finding out. If they call your doctor up & the doctor discloses your medical information to them then *that's* a HIPAA violation topped off with an invasion of privacy lawsuit against the employer.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is "Be the part of the change you want to see in the world!" bullshit? FlatAssembler 45 2120 February 3, 2024 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Anyone Else in America See Your Taxes Go Up? DeistPaladin 17 2371 April 12, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  What job experience would you like to see in a Presidential candidate? onlinebiker 44 2421 February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 1018 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Now We See How Willing The WLB Is To Suck Kim's Cock Minimalist 12 1162 May 16, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  One Reason Trump is Intent on Reversing Everything Obama Did Rhondazvous 9 1308 November 6, 2017 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  So I see that Mnuchin is going to raise the tax rate to 15% GUBU 5 1518 April 27, 2017 at 12:20 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  I see a a silver lining for progressives Won2blv 13 1112 November 11, 2016 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  I Never Thought I'd Live To See This Minimalist 11 2085 October 27, 2016 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I'll Believe This When I See It Minimalist 12 1534 October 17, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: brewer