Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
Hello!
Hello all!

I am a new member on the forum and want to say hello.

I am a long time atheist from that hot bed of of liberal intellecualism MA. I was a philosophy major in school and am currently a social worker about to go back for my MSW. I am a vegetarian and a little bit of a health nut. I am a die hard skier, hiker, and reader. I absolutely LOVE discussing religion, politics, philosophy and sports. So basically any topic that a person can get worked up aboutBig Grin

I have read through a bunch of posts and can tell I will fit right in here. Look forward to talking with like minded freethinkers!

T
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
RE: Hello!
Hi and welcome along..

On an unrelated topic could you give me an entire list of all the meals you eat so I can try them on my veggie daughter who is 17 and hates vegetables and seems to exist entirely on a diet of pizza and noodles :S
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(March 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Hi and welcome along..

On an unrelated topic could you give me an entire list of all the meals you eat so I can try them on my veggie daughter who is 17 and hates vegetables and seems to exist entirely on a diet of pizza and noodles :S

Haha. I know some vegetarians who have that same problem. Don't want to eat animals but also don't want to eat vegetables.

If she were vegan then you would be in trouble but at least animal products are still in the game. Does she like Boca Burgers? They saved my life when i first went vegetarian. They also do fake ground beef that is not bad in substitute for actual beef. We use it for tacos, "meat" sauce, "meat"loaf, etc... If you are near a Trader Joe's they have amazing fake meatballs.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
Welcome mediamogul

One thing I cannot understand is why people want to go the "vegetarian route" except for health reasons.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 18, 2012 at 12:02 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Welcome mediamogul

One thing I cannot understand is why people want to go the "vegetarian route" except for health reasons.

Half health. Half ethics.

Animals are sentient creatures and can suffer in a meaningful way therefore have rights. Factory farming is a nasty business. Ever wonder where e coli comes from?

(March 18, 2012 at 12:12 am)mediamogul Wrote:
(March 18, 2012 at 12:02 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Welcome mediamogul

Half health. Half ethics.

Animals are sentient creatures and can suffer in a meaningful way therefore have rights. Factory farming is a nasty business. Ever wonder where e coli comes from?

Used to grow the stuff and you are full of it sweetpea (the Escherishia coli bacterium I mean) ever seen what comes out of your arse??? Plants are far more deadly than Factory Farming if we are going down the bacterium route... far more deadly ...had many out breaks here in Oz from contaminated vegetables.

And I don't pay host to the 'sentient creature' argument...I AM rather passionate about Plants and Trees and cannot for the life of me understand why it is OK to murder plants because they can't look back at you but woo betide if one has meat for a meal *gasp horror Confusedhock:

I CAN understand that some people have a medical need to be vegetarian just as I have a medical need to be omnivorous. I think the "holier than thou" attitude of some vegetarians is what puts me on the attack.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:Animals are sentient creatures and can suffer in a meaningful way therefore have rights.

How...with some of the theistic assholes running around loose...can you make such a statement.

Fundies are not sentient.
Min Wrote:Fundies are not sentient.

Wink Shades mmmmm Lunch!! Cool Shades
(March 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm)mediamogul Wrote: I am a die hard skier

Whereabouts have you been skiing?

Welcome btw.
(March 18, 2012 at 2:07 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Animals are sentient creatures and can suffer in a meaningful way therefore have rights.

How...with some of the theistic assholes running around loose...can you make such a statement.

Fundies are not sentient.

Haha. One needs a nervous system complex enough to support consciousness. I gues I better watch where my argument takes me!

As for above: I am under the impression that most e coli contaminated vegetables are a result of animal waste (by that I mean cow shit). Also im certainly not one of those holier than though folks about anything but religion and conservatism. Im certainly open to an ethics debate regarding meat (hell the stuff is tasty! ).

(March 18, 2012 at 10:33 am)Napoleon Wrote:
(March 17, 2012 at 3:15 pm)mediamogul Wrote: I am a die hard skier

Whereabouts have you been skiing?

Welcome btw.

Northeast US, VT mostly. Are you from France? Chamonix is high on my to do list.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6016 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3650 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates