Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did god create the universe? Stephen Hawking
Did god create the universe? Stephen Hawking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-jQUHUF1...re=related

Bloody good watch.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
RE: Did god create the universe? Stephen Hawking
I've watched this before. I can't remember much though, so thanks for letting me know I should watch it again Big Grin

BTW. When he says "Check it out". It's the coolest mo'fockin' "Check it out" ever.
Yeah I watched all three episodes of this on Netflix. Stephen Hawking is probably the most loveable physicist ever. He seems so happy, upbeat, and enthusiastic about everything despite the fact he's rendered near-immobile. The almost child-like enthusiasm he 'shows' when he's talking about the "party for the people from the future" thing had me grinning like an idiot. The man is inspiring for so many reasons, not the least of which is his brilliance and his refusal to let his condition affect the way he lives his life.
(March 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Yeah I watched all three episodes of this on Netflix. Stephen Hawking is probably the most loveable physicist ever. He seems so happy, upbeat, and enthusiastic about everything despite the fact he's rendered near-immobile. The almost child-like enthusiasm he 'shows' when he's talking about the "party for the people from the future" thing had me grinning like an idiot. The man is inspiring for so many reasons, not the least of which is his brilliance and his refusal to let his condition affect the way he lives his life.

Yeah I loved this on Netflix. It made me feel like I was five again. I kept going "wow. That's incredible! The universe expanded faster than the speed of light after the big bang? Antimatter?!! There are almost no collisions between stars when galaxies merge?!" Hawkings is really funny too!
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
I've downloaded it as a .flv file and shall be watching it on Hypercube Media Player later on where I will be able to adjust the contrast, colour, aspect ratio etc.

[Image: ShamelessPlug.JPG]
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Are you taking on Microsoft Dar, They'll 'send the boys round' you know.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 21, 2012 at 2:53 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Are you taking on Microsoft Dar, They'll 'send the boys round' you know.

Microsoft, pah! Let me at'em!!

[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(March 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Yeah I watched all three episodes of this on Netflix. Stephen Hawking is probably the most loveable physicist ever. He seems so happy, upbeat, and enthusiastic about everything despite the fact he's rendered near-immobile. The almost child-like enthusiasm he 'shows' when he's talking about the "party for the people from the future" thing had me grinning like an idiot. The man is inspiring for so many reasons, not the least of which is his brilliance and his refusal to let his condition affect the way he lives his life.

Are you sure you're not talking about Into the Universe? This isn't available on Netflix.
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stephen Colbert: Up Against The Wall, Motherfucker! Minimalist 0 338 March 11, 2017 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Stephen Colbert Explains Putin and the WLB Minimalist 0 567 March 7, 2017 at 1:49 pm
  this will be making more money than hawking their dubious . . . vorlon13 0 407 December 12, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Stephen Colbert on Prayers, Shooting and ISIS Minimalist 0 601 December 8, 2015 at 1:46 pm
  Stephen Colbert Already Shaklng Up Late Night Minimalist 4 976 October 2, 2015 at 5:33 pm
  Awsome new Stephen Fry series on homophobia Something completely different 17 4467 November 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
Video Video | UNCUT Christopher Hitchens & Stephen Fry debate Woody68 1 1254 April 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Stephen Fry on the Catholic Church Tobie 33 14259 June 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Universe Without Design Xerxes 0 1186 May 4, 2012 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Xerxes
  Stephen Fry with a Tourette's Syndrome sufferer. Tiberius 14 5724 March 30, 2012 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Rob