Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cygnus Loop
Cygnus Loop
[Image: 633186main_pia15415-43_946-710.jpg]

Quote:Wispy tendrils of hot dust and gas glow brightly in this ultraviolet image of the Cygnus Loop nebula, taken by NASA’s Galaxy Evolution Explorer. The nebula lies about 1,500 light-years away, and is a supernova remnant, left over from a massive stellar explosion that occurred between 5,000 to 8,000 years ago. The Cygnus Loop extends over three times the size of the full moon in the night sky, and is tucked next to one of the "swan’s wings" in the constellation of Cygnus.

The filaments of gas and dust visible here in ultraviolet light were heated by the shockwave from the supernova, which is still spreading outward from the original explosion. The original supernova would have been bright enough to be seen clearly from Earth with the naked eye.

NASA's been showing some good ones.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Cygnus Loop
This one is Barnard's Loop.

To give you a sense of scale, the three bright stars up and right from the center are Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka, the three stars of Orion's belt, and the bright blue nebula down and right from center is M42, the Orion Nebula.

[Image: BarnardLoopHunterWilson.jpg]
This is still my favorite

[Image: HourglassNebula.jpg]

We actually have a framed print of this hanging over our bed.Big Grin
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Just to be clear, the Cygus loop (also known as the veil nebula) is a supernova remnant, while Barnard's loop is a broad galactic region of ionized gas and dust.

Here is an image of the cygnus loop using a partial "Hubble pallet", which in this case consists of filters for hydrogen alpha emission (green in this instance), and triply ionized oxygen (blue).

[Image: veilHubble.jpg]

Here is my image of the eastern veil Nebula:

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=2]

'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
I still like the rose picture you put up once. Big Grin I think about it sometimes randomly.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Glad you liked it. I hope to get a better version of that by the end of the year. Here is a Hubble color-mapped image of the Rosette nebula done by someone else (Not sure who):

[Image: rosette_lula_900.jpg]
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NGC 7000, in Cygnus orogenicman 10 2059 February 5, 2015 at 5:30 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  IC-5070, The Pelican Nebula, In Cygnus orogenicman 9 3191 September 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  SH2-101, The Tulip Nebula, in Cygnus orogenicman 4 2361 August 13, 2012 at 10:55 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko