Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death
Death
If one day everything is just gone, then why do we experience life as it is? Most people have their first memory at around age 2-3. You have no recollection of your life as an infant, so it seems to you that one day you just pop into existence because you can't remember anything prior. So if one day all of our memories cease to exist, then how is it that we are living life now? Wouldn't it work the same way as it did as an infant? Where I would not remember all these years and just cease to exist? If that's the case then we shouldn't even experience ourselves as "alive". Thoughts?
RE: Death
(March 26, 2012 at 6:54 am)Mosrhun Wrote: If one day everything is just gone, then why do we experience life as it is? Most people have their first memory at around age 2-3. You have no recollection of your life as an infant, so it seems to you that one day you just pop into existence because you can't remember anything prior. So if one day all of our memories cease to exist, then how is it that we are living life now? Wouldn't it work the same way as it did as an infant? Where I would not remember all these years and just cease to exist? If that's the case then we shouldn't even experience ourselves as "alive". Thoughts?
Yes, I think a vinaigrette would go good on this word salad. Other than that, I think translating this into intelligible English would be a good idea.
(March 26, 2012 at 7:00 am)Phil Wrote:
(March 26, 2012 at 6:54 am)Mosrhun Wrote: If one day everything is just gone, then why do we experience life as it is? Most people have their first memory at around age 2-3. You have no recollection of your life as an infant, so it seems to you that one day you just pop into existence because you can't remember anything prior. So if one day all of our memories cease to exist, then how is it that we are living life now? Wouldn't it work the same way as it did as an infant? Where I would not remember all these years and just cease to exist? If that's the case then we shouldn't even experience ourselves as "alive". Thoughts?
Yes, I think a vinaigrette would go good on this word salad. Other than that, I think translating this into intelligible English would be a good idea.

Um, I don't really see how it's hard to understand what I was trying to convey.

In a nutshell: If everything you are is gone when you die, then how is it possible to even experience life? We would not remember it.

Better?
(March 26, 2012 at 7:05 am)Mosrhun Wrote:
(March 26, 2012 at 7:00 am)Phil Wrote: [quote='Mosrhun' pid='261233' dateline='1332759263']
If one day everything is just gone, then why do we experience life as it is? Most people have their first memory at around age 2-3. You have no recollection of your life as an infant, so it seems to you that one day you just pop into existence because you can't remember anything prior. So if one day all of our memories cease to exist, then how is it that we are living life now? Wouldn't it work the same way as it did as an infant? Where I would not remember all these years and just cease to exist? If that's the case then we shouldn't even experience ourselves as "alive". Thoughts?
In a nutshell: If everything you are is gone when you die, then how is it possible to even experience life? We would not remember it.

Better?

Guess that is why it made no sense. you're asking why we experience life since we have no memories after death? That is pure nonsense, lay off the magic mushrooms.
(March 26, 2012 at 7:05 am)Mosrhun Wrote: Um, I don't really see how it's hard to understand what I was trying to convey.

Better?

Yet we do, your point?

Our memories are just chemical trails in the gooey lumps that are our brains.

As long as the electrical impulses keep going we have memories.

Once they stop..............
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
So you're telling me that you didn't live until you had your first memory? That was the point of the analogy.
(March 26, 2012 at 7:12 am)Mosrhun Wrote: So you're telling me that you didn't live until you had your first memory? That was the point of the analogy.

You can compare any two things you want but doing so does not make it a valid analogy.
I understand what he is trying to convey, even though he could have worded it better. I have very vague memories of being an infant and becoming self aware etc. Not that it really affects his point.

It is not brain busting to grapple with the concept of non existent/alive/non existent - but what I struggle to cope with is why we individually experience consciousness during the /alive/ bit - and no I don't mean I can't understand that consciousness is a product of brain activity, before someone points it out...

Seven billion individuals simultaneously exist right now, all experiencing consciousness, plus however many billion conscious animals - why am I the consciousness in THIS body, right here, right now, and not any of the others right now or in any time previous? Why aren't I YOU, reading this post, or both of us, or nobody at all? It's all a bit freaky when you start to wrap your head around it but of course there is no real answer.
(March 26, 2012 at 7:05 am)Mosrhun Wrote:
(March 26, 2012 at 7:00 am)Phil Wrote:

Um, I don't really see how it's hard to understand what I was trying to convey.

Better?

I often wonder why we experience life, but it is not contingent on still remembering life after I've died. When I'm gone I'm gone. I'm not sure how you think that becoming nothing prevents you from being something right now?

You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(March 26, 2012 at 7:16 am)Phil Wrote:
(March 26, 2012 at 7:12 am)Mosrhun Wrote: So you're telling me that you didn't live until you had your first memory? That was the point of the analogy.

You can compare any two things you want but doing so does not make it a valid analogy.

I appreciate your input but there's no need to be a douche. If you think it's nonsense then leave it at that. Just a fleeting thought I've had in the past that I thought I would share, nothing more.

(March 26, 2012 at 7:16 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: I often wonder why we experience life, but it is not contingent on still remembering life after I've died. When I'm gone I'm gone. I'm not sure how you think that becoming nothing prevents you from being something right now?

It would seem to me that we have to have a recollection of something to experience it. I mean, if you ate a sandwich and didn't remember it then it's as if you never ate it, in your mind at least.

I don't know, just something I had on my mind that I thought I'd get some input on.
(March 26, 2012 at 7:24 am)Mosrhun Wrote: It would seem to me that we have to have a recollection of something to experience it. I mean, if you ate a sandwich and didn't remember it then it's as if you never ate it, in your mind at least.

Sort of. You experience in real time then store some of it in memory. I'm no brain scientist but I'd guess the reason we have zero to a very few memories before the age of about 2 is because your brain is still developing and cannot store information too effectively.

Once you die, you of course have no brain, no memories, and yes at that point it would be as if you never existed from your perspective, except of course you won't have a perspective. So even the "don't even know you are dead or had ever even lived" point becomes moot. So what we are left with, as always, is the here and now - so try and make the most of it.

You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.