Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Oldest Daughter
My Oldest Daughter
I put this in the religious section because it has to do with the extreme Christian upbringing of my Oldest Daughters friend.

Over the past 14 years, I have tried to raise my daughter to be as open minded and free thinking as possible. I never shunned her from other beliefs/books etc. She read, while I tried my best to answer with honesty on my own opinion and what I could research up on things I wasn't for sure on.

A while back she was spending the night with one of her best friends. It was just my daughter, her friend and her friends mother at the time. I guess the Wizard of Oz was on and the friend asked my daughter which one was the "Good Witch"? My daughter went in to explain east, west, etc. etc. and suddenly her friends mother comes bursting in the room, ripped the electrical cord from the wall and started screaming at my daughter that there was no such thing as a, "Good Witch", that they were all bad in "God's eyes".

Fortunately, my daughter is strong headed and told her that it was just a movie and that's all they were talking about. Well, the mother started preaching to my daughter about how she would be going to hell if she didn't change her way of thinking and yada yada, yada...

My daughter told the mother she was probably brainwashed as a kid and that was the reason she was still thinking that way and believing in a mythological Greek stories....llololol.... (I about laughed myself out of my chair on that one)....

Needless to say, I get a call around 10:00PM that night to come and pick her up. The mother of course has banned her daughter from ever speaking to my oldest again. My daughter was of course upset with this, but I explained as much as I could and left it at that with her....

The mother on the other hand, I called up and told her how sorry and pathetic she was to try and condemn, judge, and belittle her on child in the same ways... That conversation ended pretty quickly with her hanging up on me....

Anyway, just thought I would share the story of a religious nut job and my awesome wonderful daughter.....Smile
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
RE: My Oldest Daughter
Good thing you weren't watching a fucking Harry Potter movie.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
(May 26, 2009 at 6:07 pm)Samson Wrote: I put this in the religious section because it has to do with the extreme Christian upbringing of my Oldest Daughters friend.

Over the past 14 years, I have tried to raise my daughter to be as open minded and free thinking as possible. I never shunned her from other beliefs/books etc. She read, while I tried my best to answer with honesty on my own opinion and what I could research up on things I wasn't for sure on.

A while back she was spending the night with one of her best friends. It was just my daughter, her friend and her friends mother at the time. I guess the Wizard of Oz was on and the friend asked my daughter which one was the "Good Witch"? My daughter went in to explain east, west, etc. etc. and suddenly her friends mother comes bursting in the room, ripped the electrical cord from the wall and started screaming at my daughter that there was no such thing as a, "Good Witch", that they were all bad in "God's eyes".

Fortunately, my daughter is strong headed and told her that it was just a movie and that's all they were talking about. Well, the mother started preaching to my daughter about how she would be going to hell if she didn't change her way of thinking and yada yada, yada...

My daughter told the mother she was probably brainwashed as a kid and that was the reason she was still thinking that way and believing in a mythological Greek stories....llololol.... (I about laughed myself out of my chair on that one)....

Needless to say, I get a call around 10:00PM that night to come and pick her up. The mother of course has banned her daughter from ever speaking to my oldest again. My daughter was of course upset with this, but I explained as much as I could and left it at that with her....

The mother on the other hand, I called up and told her how sorry and pathetic she was to try and condemn, judge, and belittle her on child in the same ways... That conversation ended pretty quickly with her hanging up on me....

Anyway, just thought I would share the story of a religious nut job and my awesome wonderful daughter.....Smile

Nice woman.....much repect to your daughter.....and I 'm pretty sure her friend will get to speak to her again.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
I'm sure she will, but it may be a while.... Now that school is out for them, it will not happen until next year.

Truly sad, because it was the mother's ignorance that is separating a friendship and not some kind of teen drama mess.

But then again, this may work out good for her daughter. Wishful thinking on my part would be that her daughter wakes up one day and realizes the ignorance she is being subjected to. But of course that's just me wishing and hoping...lol
(May 26, 2009 at 6:07 pm)Samson Wrote: The mother on the other hand, I called up and told her how sorry and pathetic she was to try and condemn, judge, and belittle her on child in the same ways... That conversation ended pretty quickly with her hanging up on me....

That's religion for you!! Ugh.

Quote:Anyway, just thought I would share the story of a religious nut job and my awesome wonderful daughter.....Smile

Certainly was a religious nut-job story. It wasn't only a GIGANTIC over-reaction from your daughter's friend's mother but the mother had no reason to react at all! Stupid religion.

I hope your "awesome wonderful daughter" as you put it is doing well.

Religion eh...tsk, tsk to say the least! What a bunch of shit it is!

EvF
(May 26, 2009 at 6:20 pm)LEDO Wrote: Good thing you weren't watching a fucking Harry Potter movie.

There would have been blood on the walls,hopefully that of the dopey twat of a mother.

For some reason passing all reason, some of the loopier fundies get apoplectic if you mention Harry Potter. I've felt downright relieved they're no longer allowed to burn witches.

ME? Have never read the books,but have seen all of the films.Have been a bit disappointed with the last two. I kept expecting Harry to jump Hermoine,or perhaps Draco jump Harry,and was looking forward to some sex magic. Perhaps in the next film..Cool Shades

PS did you ever see the You tube clip of some obese woman yelling her tits off "--and they're NOT CHRISTIANS!!!" (foams at the mouth) I truly,honestly thought "that creature needs some powerful anti psychotics".

@Samson: You seem to have raised a gutsy ,thinking daughter.Good job.
You are talking about Marguerit Perrin....Unfortunately she lives in Louisiana as well....

Here is the video clip of this "God Warrior"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eF5Y9aMYFI

I've been through her town a few times....The idiots praised her here in Louisiana for being a good "Christian Soldier" on national T.V......

Me personally, I thought, not only did she make a mockery of our state (which is already considered backwards), but she didn't think twice on how her kids would feel about her acting like a complete psychopath.
EVF

My daughter is doing very well, she was put in Talented Art for next year by winning first place in one of her Art exhibits, along with, her testing scores with the state. I'm a very proud dad....Smile

Sadly enough, they passed the ridiculous law last year that pretty much leaves the gate wide open for Creationism to creep its ugly head into our children's Science classrooms.

I am simply waiting for any of my daughters to come home and tell me that it was Sunday School class instead of Science on that day. I keep in contact with the AU and have someone on their board which I talk with from time to time. She truly is a great person and has been part of the front line in trying to keep religious material from coming into our schools. I believe she was also part of the Dover case back in 05...

Her name is Barbara Forrest, and if you have never heard of her, amazingly she lives in Louisiana and is a professor at Southeastern Louisiana Uni.

Here is an interview clip from her speaking against Creationism and what she has been doing in Texas and LA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cwvE0owTmk
Quote:@Samson: You seem to have raised a gutsy ,thinking daughter.Good job.

P.S. Thank you for that, it means a lot to a parent to hear/read...

I just will be damned if I am going to raise my children forcing any type of "Faith Based" opinions on. In other words, they will not be raised as I was.
Yeah Samson...fuck creationism lol.

Hang on...I've gotta give more constructive criticism of creationism than THAT....

So what do I think of creationism? Well....to be honest...:I think it's a bunch fo shit Tongue

EvF
Trust me.... Same here....And luckily my daughters are smart enough to know the same....They at their age have done the research to know it did not make any sense.....

Truly amazing that an eleven and fourteen year old can see the idiocy in it.....Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apologist Matt Slick's atheist daughter tells of her experience growing up Fidel_Castronaut 20 8908 July 22, 2013 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Judge forces Jehovah's Witness parents to allow transfusion for daughter with cancer frankiej 3 2134 June 1, 2012 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Minimalist