Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physicist Beats a Traffic Ticket ...
Physicist Beats a Traffic Ticket ...
by using math.

Quote:Here's a practical application for your physics education: using math to successfully beat a traffic ticket in court. Dmitri Krioukov, a physicist based at the University of California San Diego, did just that to avoid paying a fee for (purportedly) running a stop sign.

Krioukov not only proved his innocence, but he also posted a paper detailing his argument online on the arXiv server. The succinct abstract for his paper certainly distinguishes itself from other research papers:

"A way to fight your traffic tickets. The paper was awarded a special prize of $400 that the author did not have to pay to the state of California."

http://www.physicscentral.com/buzz/blog/...0518469535
RE: Physicist Beats a Traffic Ticket ...
That guy is awesome and almost certainly guilty..
It's a shame that this (probably guilty) guy can get himself off a traffic ticket, yet innocent people are convicted of rape and murder all the time.
(April 14, 2012 at 10:16 pm)Tiberius Wrote: It's a shame that this (probably guilty) guy can get himself off a traffic ticket, yet innocent people are convicted of rape and murder all the time.

You're a glass half full kinda guy aren't ya?
Technically, the glass is always full:

[Image: glassfv.jpg]

Tongue
(April 14, 2012 at 11:44 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: You're a glass half full kinda guy aren't ya?

I hate injustice.
(April 15, 2012 at 6:46 am)Tiberius Wrote: I hate injustice.

I pictured you standing atop a tall building, hands on thighs with a billowing cape when I read that.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I should totally dress up like a Roman emperor and fight crime.
(April 15, 2012 at 10:43 am)Tiberius Wrote: I should totally dress up like a Roman emperor and fight crime.

They would make a movie about you!
"The judge was convinced, and the officer was convinced as well," ... nah, probably just tired/annoyed at the over-explanation, ala sheldon from big bang. lol.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rural traffic and news reports. Brian37 3 924 March 31, 2015 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  UK Speeding Ticket KichigaiNeko 0 880 March 15, 2011 at 2:27 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko