Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apotemnophilia
Apotemnophilia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apotemnophilia

I've had a strong desire to sever my left hand a couple of inches above the wrist joint for as long as I can remember. I used to want to be a cyborg with metal replacing my bones and detachable left arm with multiple tools. Has anyone else had these feelings about other body parts?
RE: Apotemnophilia
(April 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apotemnophilia

I've had a strong desire to sever my left hand a couple of inches above the wrist joint for as long as I can remember. I used to want to be a cyborg with metal replacing my bones and detachable left arm with multiple tools. Has anyone else had these feelings about other body parts?

Can't say that I have. I do want cybernetic replacements when body parts start wearing out from old age however.

Some nice Zeiss Ikons to replace my eyes when they start failing. Big Grin
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Have you seen any iteration of Repo Man? I've seen the genetic opera which was cool and the most current remake was awesome as well.

I used to sculpt a lot and much of my artwork centered around the left hand. I would place eyeballs in the hand or within the palm or fingertips. Sometimes I would turn the fingers or whole hand of a model into drillbits.

I'm glad someone posted in my thread, I was starting to think maybe it was an overshare and it creeped people out, but then again it might just be so mundane that nobody is interested enough to post.
I can't say I have ever had the urge. Doesn't the pain put you off?
Well, I haven't done it so, yes, it puts me off as well as the reality that I would lose a fully functional hand. I have noticed that when I am really stressed out I will sometimes perseverate on how I would sever my hand to avoid feeling pain and what I would do after it was severed, like, how would I preserve it or decorate it. It has my wedding ring on it now so I doubt I will ever go through with it, but I heard a story of a man who had apotemnophilia related to his leg and he sawed it off one day with a Skil saw and felt amazing afterward. I just doubt I will ever have that moment of low sanity to actually cut it off.
(April 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I just doubt I will ever have that moment of low sanity to actually cut it off.

And that is a good thing. Big Grin

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
I listened to a book on CD once where a doctor faked his own horrible death by severing his own hand and leaving it at the crime scene, it was a really great story. It went into great detail on how he did it.
I have never had this urge.

I wouldn't want to lose either of my hands. I need my left for the fret board of a guitar and my right for drawing...
Cunt
(April 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Jaysyn Wrote: Can't say that I have. I do want cybernetic replacements when body parts start wearing out from old age however.

Could've sworn Zeiss Ikons were William Gibson's, or perhaps it was from my rpg days... shadowrun et al hmm.. Love 80s cyberpunk Big Grin
(April 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm)Chuff Wrote:
(April 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Jaysyn Wrote: Can't say that I have. I do want cybernetic replacements when body parts start wearing out from old age however.

Could've sworn Zeiss Ikons were William Gibson's, or perhaps it was from my rpg days... shadowrun et al hmm.. Love 80s cyberpunk Big Grin

Yup, you are absolutely right. They were in Burning Chrome & (I think) Idoru. Oops.

Also, if you love Shadowrun, check this out.