Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genomes
Genomes
I was just reading up on the human genome of 3 billion base pairs when I stumbled across something I can't understand. Before I ask the question let me say the human genome is really small so don't let the numbers surprise you. In 2010 a team of scientists claimed that the Japanese plant Paris Japonica has the largest genome known at an astounding 152 billion base pairs and that it took the record from the marbled lung fish (Protopterus aethiopicus) with 132 billion base pairs. Only thing is Ameoba Dubia has been known well before 2010 to have a genome with 670 million base pairs. Anybody able to explain the claim about the Japanese plant?

On another note, anybody still think the human genome is really big?
RE: Genomes
Largest genome in a multi-cell organism, perhaps? Just a guess.

Yeah, the human genome is relatively tiny compared to much simpler organisms. I've been curious to know why ever since I learned that.
(April 21, 2012 at 12:36 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Largest genome in a multi-cell organism, perhaps? Just a guess.

Yeah, the human genome is relatively tiny compared to much simpler organisms. I've been curious to know why ever since I learned that.

Could be but then the title of the science daily article "Rare Japanese Plant Has Largest Genome Known to Science" (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...120641.htm) is wrong and very misleading and should be a warning to those who swear by this publication as a constant source.
Yep, agreed. That's a good illustration as to why multiple independent sources should be used.

I also find it interesting that while googling for information as to why the human genome is relatively small, I found several creationist sites that claimed the opposite, comparing humans against chickens and fruit flies.

Cherry picking FTW.
(April 21, 2012 at 12:46 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Yep, agreed. That's a good illustration as to why multiple independent sources should be used.

I also find it interesting that while googling for information as to why the human genome is relatively small, I found several creationist sites that claimed the opposite, comparing humans against chickens and fruit flies.

Cherry picking FTW.

Well creationists are a special breed of people.

To put this in visual terms, the human genome holds the information of approximately 200 NYC size phonebooks. The mere Amoeba Dubia holds approximately 45000.
Largest PLANT genome known, according to the Wikipedia Genome article.
(April 21, 2012 at 1:01 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Largest PLANT genome known, according to the Wikipedia Genome article.

Makes their sensationalist title even more of a mistake when a free open encyclopedia has better information Smile
(April 21, 2012 at 1:03 am)Phil Wrote:
(April 21, 2012 at 1:01 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Largest PLANT genome known, according to the Wikipedia Genome article.

Makes their sensationalist title even more of a mistake when a free open encyclopedia has better information Smile

I suspect the headline writer was slacking that day.

I'm actually not surprised. Wikipedia has a lot more fact-checkers. Previous warnings about trusting single sources still apply - and while wiki isn't a quality academic primary source (no encyclopedia is), its a good place to start when investigating a subject.