Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi!
Hi!
Atheism isn't usually the word I describe myself by because it implies, at least to me, some degree of dogmatism and intellectual arrogance. I don't like the agnosticism label, either, though, since it implies either that I don't have a strong position on the issue, or that I think the issue cannot be resolved. It also implies that I seriously entertain the idea that God exists.

Besides, with the various characterizations of God out there, a naturalistic one could, and even might, exist. For example, the Deistic and Pantheistic conceptions of God constitute valid speculative hypotheses about the ultimate nature of the universe.

It's sufficient, then, to characterize me as a naturalist, or one viewpoint that laws of nature (as opposed to supernatural ones) operate in the universe, and that nothing exists beyond the natural universe or, if it does, it does not affect the natural universe. Because of this view, any observed Godlike entity will be simply reduced into naturalistic terms.

blarg.

Anywhosit, I'm Philovitist. The only thing I care about is developing my two specialties, philosophy and the cognitive sciences such that I might one day scientify more fields of philosophy, especially epistemology, ethics and the meaning of life. Oh, and I care about leading the good life.

For now, though, I'm just a high schooler torrenting textbooks...
RE: Hi!
Welcome Smile
Welcome and keep searching for the truth wherever you find it. You might also want to look into Panentheism and Process Theology, if you are so inclined.
Welcome! Most of the atheists around these parts regard atheism to be the condition of not having belief in any God or gods; that is, the condition of not being a theist. Most Western atheists are agnostic atheists: we don't know for sure that some version or other of God (or other divine figures) is not real; and we don't have a belief that it is real.

I think that's a fairly humble position, but YMMV.
(April 24, 2012 at 11:44 am)Philovitist Wrote: I'm Philovitist. The only thing I care about is developing my two specialties, philosophy and the cognitive sciences such that I might one day scientify more fields of philosophy, especially epistemology, ethics and the meaning of life. Oh, and I care about leading the good life.

Hi I''m Phil

[Image: 55284037559990271801492.jpg]
Welcome
Welcome Philo
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:Atheism isn't usually the word I describe myself by because it implies, at least to me, some degree of dogmatism and intellectual arrogance

G'day and welcome from South Australia

Arrogance? That's an ad hominem. EG I can be an arrogant old prick. I'm also an atheist. I'm not an arrogant old prick BECAUSE I'm an atheist. I was an arrogant young prig (yes,I mean priG) when I was a believer .

Dogmatic? Atheism is no more than the absence of belief in god(s) it's the antithesis of belief or dogmatism. The exception is that peculiar creature, the hard atheist. Such people can be as closed minded and dogmatic as the most rabid theist.
Welcome. Like others before me, I too disagree with your implication. To put it into perspective: as well as being an atheist, I also arrogantly and dogmatically don't collect stamps. Apart from that, nice to have you aboard.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'