Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just joined, and when I try to add my avatar, the error message says "request entity too large". Any tips to get it to work? I'm on a Mac.

Thanks in advance.
We are are part of nature, built from the same stuff as stars, planets, asteroids, and comets. Our protons and neutrons have been around since the earliest times, glued together into heavy elements of long dead ancient suns, blasted out into the universe and resculpted from diffuse interstellar dust clouds by the gentle hand of gravity. When the pattern of atoms known to be you ceases to be, the building blocks will return to the voids of space, and in a billion years or more, they may take their place in another structure so beautiful that a future mind may perceive it to be the work of a god. ~ Brian Cox
Needs to meet the dimension requirements.
RE: Avatar help?
The maximum dimensions are 150 x 150 (width x length).

If you try to add an avatar from a website which is larger than the above dimensions, then you're going to get a message which says that the avatar is too big. I think that's what happened to you. So, you have to find an image whose dimensions are equal to or less than 150 x 150.

But, if you upload an avatar from your computer, then the image will automatically resize to the maximum dimensions allowed for an avatar.
So, save the avatar to your computer and then upload it.

Angel
Its just a photo of me that is on my computer, it is saved in iPhoto. Still getting the error message.
We are are part of nature, built from the same stuff as stars, planets, asteroids, and comets. Our protons and neutrons have been around since the earliest times, glued together into heavy elements of long dead ancient suns, blasted out into the universe and resculpted from diffuse interstellar dust clouds by the gentle hand of gravity. When the pattern of atoms known to be you ceases to be, the building blocks will return to the voids of space, and in a billion years or more, they may take their place in another structure so beautiful that a future mind may perceive it to be the work of a god. ~ Brian Cox
Do you have Paint or something similar?

Load the photo, reduce it to 150 x 150, save it and then save it under another name. Then upload that.
Hrm....I'll see what I can do. Otherwise, the question mark is growing on me. Kind of mysterious...
If you don't have a graphic editor you can try this web site.

Scroll down to the bottom.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

You can edit it in iPhoto.
I really wish I was better with this kind of thing. One of the mods has kindly offered to help me, I just have to wait til I'm back at my home computer. Thanks all!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  removing certain information next to an avatar Joods 19 3855 February 14, 2016 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Help with my new avatar (gif) Iroscato 8 2753 November 3, 2015 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  Avatar Nope 11 2288 February 9, 2015 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Brian37
  appropriate avatar Phatt Matt s 46 9184 March 23, 2014 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  ABBA avatar missing. ATT ADMINS. Brian37 22 5780 December 3, 2013 at 6:43 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Who the hell gave me this gay avatar? Phish 36 11633 April 2, 2013 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  What do the gold stars next to a person's avatar mean? Angrboda 17 10887 September 21, 2012 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  avatar not showing Gooders1002 6 3064 May 14, 2012 at 6:55 am
Last Post: jackman
  Uploading an avatar BethK 2 2287 June 17, 2011 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Avatar Darwinian 4 2322 February 27, 2011 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: Darwinian