Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What A Bizarre Day!
What A Bizarre Day!
I was in the science library at university today. I was trying to find a free computer that I could use. I passed a few people on computers already and there were two guys I passed and all I heard from their conversation as I passed was '...Jesus...the cross....'. I was thinking about the Gospels or something at the time so hearing this almost made me freeze, but I kept walking. Then I hesitated.. and turned around to go talk to them. This was the beginning of a series of events... completely unrelated to what I was supposed to go and study on the computer!

One of the guys was a Christian and the other didn't know what he believed. They were discussing what counts as evidence for something in terms of historical documents. So I told them I have been researching this for a while and that I deconverted just recently. The Christian told me to share my 'worst blow' to Christianity because he's after the truth so he was all ears to what I had to say. This was my first time verbally talking about what I usually talk about here on the forums and I felt quite uncomfortable giving him what I thought was the 'worst blow', because I was dealing with a real person face to face. So I began by saying that it was Church tradition that gave the names to the Gospels.. I gave him Matthew 9:9 as an example of why I think it wasn't witnesses that wrote down these things. Anyways, I kept the subject on just the Apostles and the next thing I know the girl next to him (a Muslim) asks us 'so who was this Matthew guy you're talking about?'

Long story short, we got invited to go to her prayer session. So now we have 1 non-believer, 1 Christian and 1 Free Thinker going into a Muslim prayer session. It was pretty awkward sitting there amongst all these Muslims trying to mimic their actions! The preaching was quite interesting and I saw lots of parallels between Christianity and Islam.

After the session the girl and her friend introduced us to a recent former Christian that converted to Islam. 10 minutes later we're at the cafe discussing religion amongst 1 non-believer, 1 Christian, 1 Free Thinker, 1 former Christian whose a Muslim and two other Muslim guys.

The Christian would discuss his points and so would the Muslims. For the first time ever I felt like I wasn't obligated to try and convince my 'opponents' but instead I found myself agreeing with certain things from both sides and questioning others where I felt some justification was needed. It was a very fascinating discussion and I learnt a lot about Islam which I didn't previously know.

I wanted to share with someone this achievement in my life, which is that for the first time I was led by reason in a discussion instead of trying to confirm my beliefs by shooting others' beliefs down. Being lead by reason brought me a lot of joy in the discussion because I was able to explore the different possibilities with what was being discussed instead of having the burden of trying to convert someone. I felt truly free intellectually for the first time but most importantly I was 100% honest with my points because I reacted based on reason instead of dogma. Intellectual freedom feels good =)
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: What A Bizarre Day!
How many times do I need to make this clear? Remove the head or destroy the brain... don't talk to them... zombies won't understand you. Tongue
Cunt
(April 27, 2012 at 7:36 am)frankiej Wrote: How many times do I need to make this clear? Remove the head or destroy the brain... don't talk to them... zombies won't understand you. Tongue

It was only the Christian that was trying to push the conversation in his favour haha. The Muslims were actually quite lenient with answering questions and what not. I just enjoyed learning more about Islam, but the Christian would go back to the reasons why Christianity is true. Kind of annoying!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
It is ALWAYS the christian.
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.” - Max Stirner.
(April 27, 2012 at 12:27 pm)jess_essential Wrote: It is ALWAYS the christian.

It was actually kinda scary because I saw so much of the past me in him. Even the type of arguments he was bringing up were along the lines of what I would have said.

I wonder if he'll take the same route as me and deconvert...
All the good ones do. Wink
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.” - Max Stirner.
(April 27, 2012 at 12:34 pm)jess_essential Wrote: All the good ones do. Wink

I'd like to think I'm good!
I'd like to think that the main collection of people subscribing to some type of organized religion are just uninformed. I would also like to think that it is who raised them, and that nobody would ever voluntarily CHOOSE to be a part of something so ugly. But then reality kicks in, and I see people like the [men] running for office who profess to be christians, and realize, that they're just genuinely fucking stupid! For people who have came to religion because of it had being pushed on them, I feel bad. I always make a point to tell people that there is MORE than they even realize! But most of the time, its MORE than they care to realize, understand, and more importantly comprehend. Sigh. I am glad you got out while you still could!
(April 27, 2012 at 12:44 pm)jess_essential Wrote: I'd like to think that the main collection of people subscribing to some type of organized religion are just uninformed. I would also like to think that it is who raised them, and that nobody would ever voluntarily CHOOSE to be a part of something so ugly. But then reality kicks in, and I see people like the [men] running for office who profess to be christians, and realize, that they're just genuinely fucking stupid! For people who have came to religion because of it had being pushed on them, I feel bad. I always make a point to tell people that there is MORE than they even realize! But most of the time, its MORE than they care to realize, understand, and more importantly comprehend. Sigh. I am glad you got out while you still could!

There's definitely many factors involved with the reasons why someone is currently a believer, apart from the obvious fact that they see it as the truth. For me, I would always have these questions in the back of my head but what really got me over the line, to the extent that I considered myself a born again Christian, is the 'ideal view' of what the NT was. I.e. I thought I was reading what Jesus spoke word-for-word.

At the end of the day I've always been about the truth, but it did take some time to step out of my comfort zone and really analyze what I was putting my faith in.
When I attempted to understand christianity, I was 17 years old and living with a friend of mine who's family visited church quite often. I HAD to go with them if I wanted to stay there, and being I had nowhere else to go, I stayed, and went with. I spent abouttttt six months trying so desperately to FEEL something, ANYTHING that the other people there felt! I felt inadequete when people would start sweating and fall to the ground crying because THE HOLY SPIRIT ENTERED THEIR BODY! I was jealous. I wanted to feel that too! Until I stepped back into reality, and found out what religion and the god concept meant to me PERSONALLY. I realized that I didnt feel anything, because there wasnt anything TO feel. I didnt fall on the ground, because I wasnt about to have a seizure. I didnt walk around professing of the holy spirit, because I didnt think it ever existed! God is like meth, people try to sell it to you on the streets, promising it will make everything better, but after you take your first hit and the shakes start to set in, you realize how much better off you were without it in the first place. I'm a fan of logic, and what doesnt make sense, just doesnt make sense. And it is not going to start making sense all of the sudden either. Things rarely operate like that. Just my opinion.