Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello again
Hello again
Popped in to say,"Hi. How are you doing?"
RE: Hello again
I'm fine, and you?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(June 6, 2009 at 5:25 am)moleque Wrote: Popped in to say,"Hi. How are you doing?"

I strongly suspect you may be a troll given that you started a Linux/Windows flame war then fucked off.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(June 6, 2009 at 8:14 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(June 6, 2009 at 5:25 am)moleque Wrote: Popped in to say,"Hi. How are you doing?"

I strongly suspect you may be a troll given that you started a Linux/Windows flame war then fucked off.

Kyu

Quite contrary. I have been installing NetBSD to a laptop. Did a howto on hacking. Did a howto on installing NetBSD to my laptop. Filed a complaint. I'm replying to you here. One, I am impressed by your choice for your OS. Two, I push FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Linux everywhere I go. I am human. If I stop by a site occasionally and make general chit-chat that means I enjoy visiting the site.
You are more than welcome to start a new thread on operating systems, invite me, and we will continue the discussion.
(June 7, 2009 at 7:31 am)moleque Wrote: Quite contrary. I have been installing NetBSD to a laptop. Did a howto on hacking. Did a howto on installing NetBSD to my laptop. Filed a complaint. I'm replying to you here. One, I am impressed by your choice for your OS. Two, I push FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Linux everywhere I go. I am human. If I stop by a site occasionally and make general chit-chat that means I enjoy visiting the site.

Not sure why you say you're impressed but fair enough.

(June 7, 2009 at 7:31 am)moleque Wrote: You are more than welcome to start a new thread on operating systems, invite me, and we will continue the discussion.

You see, that's what people don't get about me or, I reckon, the majority of Windows users and "fanboys" ... I don't want to push Windows anywhere, I don't rave about Windows, I don't even really care about talking about it except when I or someone has a problem or perhaps there's a major new development ... in fact I don't rant about Windows at all EXCEPT in response to the kind of stuff I've been seeing lately (and I defy anyone to show me doing so except as a response to what I see as OS evangelism). So (and this is going to bring the wrath of Torvald down on my head I suspect) I'm afraid I see this as some kind of jealousy thing ... Linux aficionados just don't seem to like the fact that their baby (Linux) isn't in its rightful place at the top of the heap, they don't seem to realise they're just the same as the Mac community, the UNIX community, the OS2, NextSTEP * BeOS communities before them. As I've said before Windows is top dog for many reasons not all of them good ones but I believe the biggest reason it is top dog is because it is relatively easy to use and it works and (despite all the whingeing and bitching form everyone else) it does it very well ... if any of you think that isn't true look at Vista, that bloody OS should have killed MS stone dead but instead (begrudgingly though it may have been) users adopted it or dropped back to XP (as I did) waiting for MS to learn their lesson in the next release (which they appear to have done).

Like it or not, whether the stuff about security is true (and there's a good article here that brings the two out almost equal for a number of reasons), MS has chosen to bias more towards user-friendliness than Linux or UNIX but that is changing which obviously means that the *nix camp has a point about separate root security and that has ramifications. Nevertheless a properly built, managed and operated Windows systems is every bit as secure as an equivalent Linux one and my evidence for that is that just about every business in the world uses Windows and, despite the paranoia at times, they deal with them fairly well and that I have had little but Windows systems at home (currently a Windows domain of at least 1 server, that I am virtualising as I type and between 4 and 10 clients) and we just don't get any major issues.

And for those that think I am biased, yes Windows is my OS of choice but I still like and admire Linux ... I just don't like evangelism whether that be religious, political, OS or any bloody thing else.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

(June 7, 2009 at 8:02 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: there's a good article here that brings the two out almost equal for a number of reasons
(From the article)

Multi-user separation
Windows: D+
Linux: A

Targetability
Windows: F
Linux A

User Data Confidentiality
Windows: B-
Linux: B+

System Patches
Windows: A-
Linux: B+

If we give a score such as A=0, B=1, C=2, D=3, E=4, F=5 and .25 marks for +/- respectively then we get the following:

Windows: 2.75 + 5 + 1.25 + 0.25 = 9.25 (Average score of 2.3 which is a C-)
Linux: 0 + 0 + 0.75 + 0.75 = 1.5 (Average score of 0.375. Let's be nice to Windows and say A/B)

Can you explain how 9.25 "almost equals" 1.5? I'm not trying to be mean here, but to say that the article favoured both is ridiculous. There were two things he marked Linux down for: The permissions system in regards to industrial file access, and the fact that the patch system is opt-in, and it differs depending on the distro.
OK, bad link but the ones he scores lowest he broadly speaking puts at the user's door and that Windows is the biggest target out there neither of which I believe is the OS's fault. Big whoop Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism

Granted and you are right about user ease.
Another downfall of the Linux community is the "RTFM" attitude and the "If it mentions Windows, it's a troll" attitude.

Each of these can be re-approached.
"RTFM" can be substituted with "There is documentation available on your system. "

The "troll's" question/statement can be replied with an attitude of "It's a challenge, let's take it."

I try to make my howto's easy for people to understand.
I also try to setup other's systems to where they can easily understand it.

Maybe if more of the users approached others like Klaus Knopper and less like Richard Stallman, the system would be more widespread.
(June 7, 2009 at 12:37 pm)moleque Wrote: I try to make my howto's easy for people to understand.
I also try to setup other's systems to where they can easily understand it.

You sound like the kind of person I could use for help when I am trying to work out my problems with a given Linux distro ... mind you've I've dealt with people like that (not necessarily like you) before and they always end up doing what all Linux "support" seems to i.e. walk away when they can't solve my issues.

Kyu
Angry Atheism

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Miracle. Born again, again. I'm no longer atheist. Fruity 29 6291 November 3, 2013 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Angrboda