Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible?
Is it possible?
Many religious people I speak with say they are able to believe without evidence, that they "choose" to believe.

I wonder, is it possible to "choose" to believe in something that has no evidence? Is that not simply playing make-believe?

The ability to believe in something that has no evidence really amazes me. I actually think it's miraculous that the human brain can do it. I wonder why I can never do it?

If I had the ability to "believe", I wouldn't believe in heaven. I would choose to believe in a place a million times better than heaven - after all, why settle when we can just make stuff up and simply "believe"! And, why is it that everyone copies each others belief, there are very few original beliefs.

Actually I might join the believers and in my fantasy I will turn into a purple metal acorn when I die. I will hold an entire universe inside myself and suddenly explode into 326 dimensions, each magnifying the enjoyment exponentially.

Agreed, there is no evidence for this but I just believe and (as we are told) it is very healthy to just believe. If I come up with an even better fantasy I may scrub this one and believe in that one instead!

Ah - it must be so easy to be one of these "believers"!
RE: Is it possible?
In fairness, people believe without evidence all the time. Atheists are by no means exempt from this.

In proposing an almighty sentient being who exists outside of the material universe, has always existed, and asserted as definite based on faith is not so much a leap, but a complete dive off the deep end imo.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Anyone who accepts something *wholeheartedly* without evidence or legitimate reasoning is either mentally ill, indoctrinated or was simply never taught how to reason logically.
I don't apologize for that statement no more than I would apologize for berating someone who thinks they're a mutated rabbit based on nothing but having slightly bigger ears than usual
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
It's all about 'gut feeling'. The difference being that some go out and find the evidence to back their idea up, when others never will. For instance, a few believed in the past that the DNA existed, without being able to prove it. Today, with e.g. our outstanding electron microscopes, it's proven that such a molecule exist. Before that it could only be assumes that something like it was indeed there. That is what all believers do, maybe the ones we laugh at today will eventually come up with sufficient data to back their musings, or maybe they won't. But I agree to the extent that those who believe and only sit on their asses, without doing decent research, should stop claiming certain things as the 'truth'.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Quote:I wonder, is it possible to "choose" to believe in something that has no evidence? Is that not simply playing make-believe?
Well, choice of course, is an important matter, isn't it?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
I don't think you can choose to believe in a God, either you do or you don't.

I could not just decide "hey, I'm gonna believe in God today".
I respect you too much to believe that you could possibly hold those ridiculous beliefs. - Richard Dawkins, 2012
I think it is most certainly possible to choose to believe, and the choice can either be an explicit one (I choose specifically to believe because I want to) or an indirect or implicit one (I am convinced based mainly on the fact that lots of other people are convinced)
It's more than that. Most people are born into a religion and don't give it much more thought, ever. They go through the motions.

But the real crazies are desperate to believe and that is a whole other matter.

(May 8, 2012 at 6:40 am)compass Wrote: Many religious people I speak with say they are able to believe without evidence, that they "choose" to believe.

I wonder, is it possible to "choose" to believe in something that has no evidence? Is that not simply playing make-believe?

The ability to believe in something that has no evidence really amazes me. I actually think it's miraculous that the human brain can do it. I wonder why I can never do it?

If I had the ability to "believe", I wouldn't believe in heaven. I would choose to believe in a place a million times better than heaven - after all, why settle when we can just make stuff up and simply "believe"! And, why is it that everyone copies each others belief, there are very few original beliefs.

Actually I might join the believers and in my fantasy I will turn into a purple metal acorn when I die. I will hold an entire universe inside myself and suddenly explode into 326 dimensions, each magnifying the enjoyment exponentially.

Agreed, there is no evidence for this but I just believe and (as we are told) it is very healthy to just believe. If I come up with an even better fantasy I may scrub this one and believe in that one instead!

Ah - it must be so easy to be one of these "believers"!

Its really funny to learn what people are promised they would get in heaven in certain religion. about 20 or so beautiful girls if they offer prayers i wonder what their sisters,wives,mothers get when they do the same.
Any religion or lack thereof firmly comes down to choice. There is no other way around it. And yes, you very much could probably decide to follow any religion you chose. I highly doubt your mind is some special exception to the rule.

In terms of evidence, Christianity has no shortage of witnesses, though I don't think thats why most Christians convert in the first place.
Mary Immaculate, star of the morning
Chosen before the creation began
Chosen to bring for your bridal adorning
Woe to the serpent and rescue to man.

Sinners, we honor your sinless perfection;
Fallen and weak, for your pity we plead;
Grand us the shield of your sovereign protection,
Measure your aid by the depth of our need.

Bend from your throne at the voice of our crying,
Bend to this earth which your footsteps have trod;
Stretch out your arms to us, living and dying,
Mary Immaculate, Mother of God.

Heart

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possible Connection Between Egyptian Religion And FSM BrianSoddingBoru4 6 1151 December 10, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Possible and impossible KUSA 19 2919 February 27, 2016 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  possible origins of islam (higher criticism scholars/ history nuts welcome) Psychonaut 18 5477 August 6, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Isn't it at least possible that God isn't a prude? Whateverist 14 3542 July 11, 2015 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  possible answer to why you should believe jeroenymo 65 11520 October 23, 2014 at 10:22 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Possible explanation of supernatural religious visitations BlackMason 15 4233 May 13, 2014 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Is Ascension possible without a spiritual guide? Mystic 8 4095 March 4, 2013 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  is my idea of the afterlife possible at all bigboy 30 13918 March 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Phil