Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why I'm an atheist
why I'm an atheist
Just a brief introduction:

I've struggled with a religious identity my entire life. I was raised in a nominally Christian household, and I was scared into being "saved" and attending church later on. At that time in my life, "I am not worthy" was a fundamental part of my day to day life; the fear angle certainly worked for a while. The absurdity of Biblical literalism - and the fervent way that people performed the most amazing mental gymnastics to make it all "fit"in their mind - brought me largely to my senses.

For about ten years I've considered myself agnostic. In actuality, I just gave up looking and made a concerted effort to ignore anything religious. I confused atheism with arrogance (it took me a while to realize that, like anyone else, atheist individuals are just individuals; some people are assholes regardless of their position on god). It was intellectually lazy of me to make sweeping assumptions like that based on limited exposure to:

1. Stilted portrayals of Richard Dawkins et al.
2. My incredibly bitter and bitchy atheist ex-girlfriend
3. Several national atheist organizations I have a negative impression of for assorted reasons

...but over the past several months I've been compelled to find an answer of my own. I wanted to have a position of some kind, whatever it was.

Finally on Thanksgiving Day, it occurred to me that I have no reason to believe in God. None. Since I do not have faith, I would therefore have to be persuaded by logic to get/have it... just saying "I have faith" or "I believe" doesn't make it so. And, to the surprise of nobody who is reading this, my investigation has not produced any faith in God; the more I investigate, the less I believe in God.

And thus I became an atheist. I do not believe in God because I have no reason to believe in God.

So that's the short version. Glad to be here!
RE: why I'm an atheist
Welcome!

That's quite an introduction and very insightful. Smile

You will find many like minded folk here and some thick-skulled fundies too. Big Grin
I respect you too much to believe that you could possibly hold those ridiculous beliefs. - Richard Dawkins, 2012
(May 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm)el_presidente Wrote: ...but over the past several months I've been compelled to find an answer of my own. I wanted to have a position of some kind, whatever it was.
... Glad to be here!

^^ same. welcome, man!
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
Welcome to the dark side.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(May 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm)el_presidente Wrote: ... it occurred to me that I have no reason to believe in God. None.

Precisely! People tend to think it's a matter of proving whether god exists or not... like that's possible. It's all a matter of belief and belief is a matter of having reason to believe. Without a reason to believe something, how can one be expected to believe it?
The funny thing is, once you realize that religion is nothing more than an excuse for one group to control another you will wonder why it did not occur to you earlier.

You are free, man. Enjoy it and welcome.
(May 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The funny thing is, once you realize that religion is nothing more than an excuse for one group to control another you will wonder why it did not occur to you earlier.

I often wonder how the fuck I could believe in sky-fairies and then I remember that they started putting that garbage in my head before my brain was able to critically think.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
You know the Jesuit motto?

Quote:"Give me the boy until he is seven, and I will give you the man."

Given the way catholics treat children these days it is even more creepy.
why I'm an atheist
(May 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm)Annik Wrote:
(May 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The funny thing is, once you realize that religion is nothing more than an excuse for one group to control another you will wonder why it did not occur to you earlier.

I often wonder how the fuck I could believe in sky-fairies and then I remember that they started putting that garbage in my head before my brain was able to critically think.

Fear and insecurity are powerful things to build on. I empathize with theists mostly (generally, anyway); they have an uphill fight to the truth and I can appreciate how tough it is - and I wasn't even that religious. The same midbrain we evolved "out" of still rules us until we get in the habit of challenging it with our higher functions.
Welcome! I fear I am arrogant, so will do nothing to build up your opinion of atheists, but at least I will give you some more fodder for comparison. Big Grin