Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 10:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your complaint with Christianity?
What is your complaint with Christianity?
I ask this question because I want specifics as to why you reject or oppose christianity. Try to keep your points annotated and to the point, list them (1,2,3...) for clarity sake.

Try to not put them all in one post but let's deal with them in a reasonable, rational manner.
RE: What is your complaint with Christianity?
It begins easily enough. I do not believe Christianity's claim that there is a god any morre than I believe anyone else's.
I reject Christianity for the same reason I reject all religions. There is no evidence any of it is true.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
(May 9, 2012 at 5:27 pm)DeeTee Wrote: I ask this question because I want specifics as to why you reject or oppose christianity. Try to keep your points annotated and to the point, list them (1,2,3...) for clarity sake.

Try to not put them all in one post but let's deal with them in a reasonable, rational manner.

I reject Christianity because:

1. there's no evidence that it's correct and there is evidence that suggests it isn't.

2. well... that's about it

I oppose Christianity because:

1. it spreads denial of science, preventing science education and slowing scientific progress

2. I feel it has an overall negative impact on the world, through bigotry, (of gays and such) violence (look at the historical church). I feel the charitably and good that it contributes can exist just fine without religion.

3. "It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it."
-- Edmund Way Teale
Will you be reasonable? Most of the time, you just make incredibly bigoted blanket statements.

My issue? Christianity suppresses individual choice, promotes anti-intellectualism and does it on the word of a 2,000 year old book that's no longer relevant. In that book, it espouses cruelty and hate-mongering. You see, I care enough about people to want them to think for themselves, be happy and to be comfortable.

And don't tell me how to post.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Z. I don't reject Christianity. I don't believe in god. Very different.

Abracadbra. What distaste I do have for Christianity stems from people like you, to be frank. See reasons outlined below:

*&*&. Using the Bible as an excuse for hatred and bigotry or possibly just pretending to.

Falcor. Presuming to tell other people to behave when, here, you are just a member like everyone else. God has no say.

Yastrzemski. Your pretentious attempt to dictate the lives of others makes people uncomfortable. In other words, people like you harsh the mellow, pop the bubble, etc.

Gandalf. Some Christians are cool. You should talk to them.

Hope my annotations and rationale were good enough for you, oh wise one.
Oh don't single yourself out, because you're not special. I reject every cult that worships man-made gods.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(May 9, 2012 at 5:27 pm)DeeTee Wrote: I ask this question because I want specifics as to why you reject or oppose Christianity.

I do not reject Christianity, I reject the notion of a belief in a divine or supernatural being of any kind without evidence. This means Christianity is only one of many superstitions that I reject.

Reason? Lack of evidence... That's about it.
I respect you too much to believe that you could possibly hold those ridiculous beliefs. - Richard Dawkins, 2012
(May 9, 2012 at 5:27 pm)DeeTee Wrote: I ask this question because I want specifics as to why you reject or oppose christianity. Try to keep your points annotated and to the point, list them (1,2,3...) for clarity sake.

Because it is the muck that sustains the bottom feeders amongst the human species, such as yourself.

And don't ever abuse the word "rational" by letter it be soil by lips of those like you.
(May 9, 2012 at 5:32 pm)libalchris Wrote: ..it spreads denial of science, preventing science education and slowing scientific progress
Is religion the only thing slowing progress? What about general ignorance regardless of religion. Also, paradigm shifts are just as often slowed by academic rivals clinging to entrenched positions. They have to die before new ideas can get aired.

(May 9, 2012 at 5:32 pm)libalchris Wrote: I feel it has an overall negative impact on the world, through bigotry, (of gays and such) violence (look at the historical church).
Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot...all atheists, all bigoted and violent. Religion can be a convenient cover for the evil, but it's not the cause.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7225 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  sick of your threats Christianity! atheist04330 12 2030 July 13, 2014 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8632 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18600 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  What's your problem with christianity? gitonga 102 40196 May 25, 2013 at 12:37 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Church receives complaint over God-heals leaflet Welsh cake 4 1661 June 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist