Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hi. I am Kaleb, from Georgia, US. I'm eighteen years old, between high school and college. For the past four years, I have been thoroughly studying religion and philosophy as deeply as I could, spending most of my days doing that. I have explored almost every religion, philosophy, and lack thereof, including my own created philosophies. Right now, I am in Catholic RCIA, which if you don't know what that is, it's the initiation rite of the Catholic Church to instruct new members about the Church before they're baptized. But, I am internally in conflict between faith in Catholicism, and doubt/agnosticism. Hence why I'm here. While I'm in RCIA, I want to fully contemplate my doubts and questions, before/if I decide to get baptized. Hopefully you guys can help answer some of my questions. Smile
RE: Hello
OK ... welcome to the forum Smile

Ask yourself this simple question ... if every religion in the world ([past or present) claims there is a god and that they are god's only true followers ™ what greater right do Catholics and/or Christians have to claim theirs is the right god? In order to reject all those you have to use some kind of logic, a method or whatever ... having assured yourself your method for rejection is sound (reasonably objective) apply that same method to your god and ask yourself if it also survives that objective assessment.

Paraphrasing (Stephen Roberts as I recall) when you understand why you reject all other deities you will understand why we reject yours (which is what you'd expect because we're atheists, the great unwashed, LOL) but, more to the point in your case, once you have justified this to yourself you should know whether your belief is truly sound and on that basis whether or not you should continue with your baptism.

I hope you can figure it out and that you're happy with your decision because, whether it reflects the truth or not, you have to live with it so that's really what matters (that you're happy).

I'm an ex-Rat Catcher (Roman Catholic) BTW.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Another member from Georgia Big Grin

I must attract them every time I go over there.
You should do a world tour then Adrian Tongue Attract members from all walks of life

Anyway, welcome to the forum. We'll be more than happy to aid you in your doubt Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6003 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3648 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates