Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skepticism
Skepticism
What's the difference between skepticism and pseudoskepticism?
RE: Skepticism
(May 15, 2012 at 11:18 am)michrelvoik Wrote: What's the difference between skepticism and pseudoskepticism?

The word pseudo.
When a moderate Christian who believes in the resurrection of Jesus Christ talks about fundamentalism...

"Can you believe those guys actually believe in a talking snake! lol"

Pseudoskepticism.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Serious answers please.
Those were real answers. Look up the prefix "pseudo" and you will have your answer.
I was asking for an actual explanation.
That is an actual explanation, but here, let me explain something that you could have simply found on Google. When a term is prefixed by the word "pseudo," it means that it mimics the base word, but is not in line with the base word. So, skepticism is being skeptical in practice. Pseudoskepticism is appearing to be skeptical, but not actually being skeptical in practice. I think of it as being skeptical of the wrong things or being skeptical of something that is not in line with your preconceived notions for the sake of lending credence to your argument. For example, one could be "skeptical" of scientists who refute the Noah's Ark story and present their reasoning for being skeptical. They might sound coherent and as if they have a decent argument, but close scrutiny shows that they are not being skeptical, but rather just rejecting arguments while sounding half way intelligent.
Thanks for that actual explanation.
Thanks for feeling like you were entitled to it when you clearly have access to a browser as we speak.
Thanks for giving it to me anyway.