Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help?
help?
So I'm a writer, although not a very experienced one. I write about human rights and activism for human rights within any nation experiencing problems with it. I was recently approached to do a piece on Brazil and the disgusting state of things within the law enforcement system, economics, and politics of the nation. Here's my problem:

As a writer, you hear stories about great writers who go to dangerous nations and put their lives at risk for the good of humanity. It's inspirational, in a way. In another way, it's purely terrifying. I mean, when you think about it--we really are putting our lives at risk. Being an American in the area of Brazil I'd be writing about is incredibly dangerous, and it would seem my "Dream" has come true. This is why it's scary, however. I've already made up my mind, and will be going to Brazil to do this piece...I guess I'm just looking to vent and get input from other writers who might have been in a similar situation?

Thanks for your time

RE: help?
Not a writer here Chris but good luck mate. Tricky situation. Undecided
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I only write on technology and occasionally movies. The only threat I could possibly face would be a DDoS attack from Anonymous if I pissed them off enough. Unlikely to happen though.
(May 16, 2012 at 7:51 am)Tiberius Wrote: I only write on technology and occasionally movies. The only threat I could possibly face would be a DDoS attack from Anonymous if I pissed them off enough. Unlikely to happen though.

Hahaha well, I suppose there are advantages to that though. (There's definitely more opportunity in Tech-writing haha) I once made a joke, "I dream of being issued a FATWA". I suppose, be careful what you wish for.
Quote:I was recently approached to do a piece on Brazil and the disgusting state of things within the law enforcement system, economics, and politics of the nation.

Get some experience, try to stay safe and when you get back you can start working on the same story here in the US. There may be a Pulitzer in your future.

We all are at risk of losing our lives, always. The soul who never risks as much as a writer in Brazil. The writer in Brazil will have the excitement, the growth, and the stories that come with that path[1]. The other stagnation.

The only sense I would urge caution in is that you may be exposing others to stress and suffering. If you are unmarried and childless, this equation is easier.

[1] I have lived with serious mental illness and lost 9 fingers in a suicide attempt 4 years ago, so I think I am equipped to speak to the question of the growth potential in adversity and risk. For a more scientific take, John Haidt examines the psychological research pertaining to the adage that adversity makes us stronger in the book The Happiness Hypothesis (IIRC, his conclusion is that it is most beneficial in the teens to twenties, and for some but not all people; more than that I'd have to check my notes).

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
In my opinion, i think you have to make a decision of what is more fearful to you: either you going to a foreign country and maybe you get threats or even get hurt. OR are you more afraid of the direction of the Brazillian government.
From what you wrote, it sounds to me like you are genuinely concerned about the topic on which you are going to write. Therefore, the people reading your work will gain courage, knowledge, and possibly the same conviction as you to make a difference for humanity over in Brazil, which many readers may not even be aware of.
Good luck!
Personally, I think the chance to do something honorable with your life outweighs the risks. Then again, that might be easy for me to say, because it's not my ass out there.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Learn how to say, "I'm just a writer" in Portuguese.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(May 16, 2012 at 7:22 am)Chris.Roth Wrote: So I'm a writer, although not a very experienced one. I write about human rights and activism for human rights within any nation experiencing problems with it. I was recently approached to do a piece on Brazil and the disgusting state of things within the law enforcement system, economics, and politics of the nation. Here's my problem:

As a writer, you hear stories about great writers who go to dangerous nations and put their lives at risk for the good of humanity. It's inspirational, in a way. In another way, it's purely terrifying. I mean, when you think about it--we really are putting our lives at risk. Being an American in the area of Brazil I'd be writing about is incredibly dangerous, and it would seem my "Dream" has come true. This is why it's scary, however. I've already made up my mind, and will be going to Brazil to do this piece...I guess I'm just looking to vent and get input from other writers who might have been in a similar situation?

Thanks for your time
Well, I don't know what is so dangerous about Brazil, but I'd suggest that you do not put your life on the line for anyone who does not do for themselves.
My opinion. If you are really so concerned, you might want to start with people who are activists in those regions. You might work together.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?