Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hey everyone, good to be here. First off, I never thought I'd posting in an atheist forum, growing up they were the boogey man. Let me tell you my story:

I was born and raised to be a Christian. My parents were..."lukewarm" believers however my grandma was a very devout Baptist and taught me at a very very young age. The ideas of eternal hell and an end time rapture were drilled in my head. I attended youth groups and youth summer camps. My first experience questioning my faith was when I was about 14 or 15. I went to a summer camp/seminar/meeting type thing in Duluth, MN(where I am originally from) and one of the seminars was "Demonic and Occult Media Influences" or something like that. It was basically about how all music that is not Christian is Satanic and could lead to demonic possession, etc etc. Well the breaking point for me was when he told us that he believed he knew who the Anti-Christ is. He said, very matter of factly, that the Anti-Christ is Alanis Morissette. Then in another seminar he told us that every false Christian would burn in hell and get it worse than anyone else. It soon dawned on me that he was talking about my parents. I mean, only really giving lip service to Christ, and all of that. But it seemed that it conflicted with the Baptist doctrine that all one had to do was believe to be saved.
I went home that night and cried out to Jesus to save my parents. And to guard me from weak faith. I just never felt that....moment...that "change" from the "Holy Spirit" that all Christians claimed to feel. It made me feel insecure in my salvation. I would go to bed at night and nightmare about hell. I would dream about watching my parents get condemned to hell by Jesus on the Last Judgment. Everyone said God and Jesus were love and all of that, but I was terrified of them.. I was scared to death of meeting Jesus, all I could envision was being ridiculed and sentenced to hell for not believing the proper way, and being good enough, though I was always taught no one was good, Christ himself said so.
I believe that emotional pain and trauma would set me off into my 3 year long neurosis from 18-21 years old. During the past three years I changed denominations almost daily, sometimes more than once a day. I was so afraid of having the wrong beliefs, after all there is about 1000+ denominations and each them claim to have the correct path to Christ. I would jump around from everything. I converted to Catholicism and left, and came back, tried Orthodoxy, almost all protestant faiths, even "new age" Christianity. None of it satisfied me, I was so afraid of God and hell.
Well about 4 months ago I found universalism, the idea that all people will be saved. I researched it and found most of their claims to be true. That opened the floodgates. Once I found that Christian Church was wrong on this, Christianity fell like a house of cards. I studied early church history with an unbiased opinion and found that almost all Christianity is borrowed directly from pagan religions.
I studied my way out of organized religions. I was tempted by atheism, however I just can't believe that all of this was an accident. I don't think it takes much faith to believe in a Creator.
I do have a lot of anger inside of me at the organized religious structure. I am trying to get it all worked out and be positive about what I have instead of bitter about what was.
Now I consider myself a weak atheist, I don't believe that God can ever be disproven, but I just can't believe in a god at this point in my life. I tried deism, but I don't know if I can take that.
RE: Hello
Welcome Johnny. What a story - and a moving one. I can't personally relate to you because I myself have never really had a 'religious background' of any sort...

I have heard similar stories though and I can't believe the kind of power religion can over over the mind...it's like a parasite that takes over the brain, a virus. The whole 'Hell' idea with 'Eternal Damnation' being the notion that grabs hold of people (especially if they're brought up like it of course) most of all I think...so horrible for such a notion of 'Hell' to be believed in and all the bullshit that goes with it - 'you will go to hell if you don't do or don't do 'X'', etc - and without any evidence for such a disgusting notion...at all!

Greetings Johnny. Welcome to the forums.

EvF
(June 12, 2009 at 1:43 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Welcome Johnny. What a story - and a moving one. I can't personally relate to you because I myself have never really had a 'religious background' of any sort...

I have heard similar stories though and I can't believe the kind of power religion can over over the mind...it's like a parasite that takes over the brain, a virus. The whole 'Hell' idea with 'Eternal Damnation' being the notion that grabs hold of people (especially if they're brought up like it of course) most of all I think...so horrible for such a notion of 'Hell' to be believed in and all the bullshit that goes with it - 'you will go to hell if you don't do or don't do 'X'', etc - and without any evidence for such a disgusting notion...at all!

Greetings Johnny. Welcome to the forums.

EvF
It's hard for people to understand how powerful the grip of religion can be. Hell is a very very good scare tactic and kept me in line for many years. My wife, who is a Christian but a very understanding tolerant one, just can't understand what I went through. She supports my atheism if it makes me happy, and doesn't really believe in hell so I guess she can't understand the grip it had on me. I tell her it's like a mental illness. Looking back I am really surprised I didn't have a full out mental breakdown because of the daily stress I would put myself through.
Johnny,
Your story is heartbreaking. I can't imagine what if was like for you growing up.
My parents believed in a creator, but I can't remember them ever stepping foot into a church so I didn't have a religious background. My only experience with church as a child was when I was in 5th grade, I think. A friend of mine talked me into going to Sunday school with her. She went once or twice, then I was stuck going alone. I had to sit threw church service and I hated it. It was awful. They made me feel bad about myself because I didn't know anything about Jesus. I don't even remember what church it was and I was clearly too old for Sunday school. I only went a few times before asking my mother 'Do I have to keep going?'. She told me of course not. I have chosen to raise my kids without any influences by any church and they are free to make up their minds as to whatever religion they want. They are 21 & 16 now. My oldest is agnostic and my youngest is atheist. He told me he has a scientific mind. That makes sense because he has AS tooSmile
Anyway welcomeSmile

Tammy
No, no, no ... Alanis Morissette is god (at least in the film "Dogma") so that preacher got it all wrong didn't he?

It's tough being brought up in such indoctrination so my sympathies and welcome to the forum.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Johnny, your background sounds almost identical to mine. The camps I went to took place when I was around 11. Same mess, same spews etc. etc.

Truly ironic, but it was the idea of hell that made me want to believe, but in the end, it was hell that started my disbelief. I was 15 when I told my Southern Bible Belt beating family that I no longer believed in any of it and that I was an Atheist. (Should have been a fly on the wall for that "Conversation". I thought they were going to call the preacher up to lay his hands on me....lollolol...)

Johnny, I spent the rest of my life doing some of the same research and came to the same conclusions. Just hang in there, it took me almost 10 years after that to finally break my mind completely free of the BS..It's been over another decade and I actually feel better today than when I was growing up all those years before I was 15.

You stated:
I don't believe that God can ever be disproven, but I just can't believe in a god at this point in my life.

A man once said, "I don't know what "God" is; but I know what he/she/it is not".

That's a wonderful quote that can stand against every denomination of Christianity/Judaism and every sect of Islam.

Bottom line is that none of it matters and never will. Usually when people ask me what church I go to, or what denomination I am.....My reply is usually that, I have my own understandings of life, and leave it at that. Now if they persist, that's when the gloves come off and the tongue lashing begins....Smile
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
(June 12, 2009 at 12:02 pm)Johnny Wrote: Hey everyone, good to be here. First off, I never thought I'd posting in an atheist forum, growing up they were the boogey man. Let me tell you my story:

I was born and raised to be a Christian. My parents were..."lukewarm" believers however my grandma was a very devout Baptist and taught me at a very very young age. The ideas of eternal hell and an end time rapture were drilled in my head. I attended youth groups and youth summer camps. My first experience questioning my faith was when I was about 14 or 15. I went to a summer camp/seminar/meeting type thing in Duluth, MN(where I am originally from) and one of the seminars was "Demonic and Occult Media Influences" or something like that. It was basically about how all music that is not Christian is Satanic and could lead to demonic possession, etc etc. Well the breaking point for me was when he told us that he believed he knew who the Anti-Christ is. He said, very matter of factly, that the Anti-Christ is Alanis Morissette. Then in another seminar he told us that every false Christian would burn in hell and get it worse than anyone else. It soon dawned on me that he was talking about my parents. I mean, only really giving lip service to Christ, and all of that. But it seemed that it conflicted with the Baptist doctrine that all one had to do was believe to be saved.
I went home that night and cried out to Jesus to save my parents. And to guard me from weak faith. I just never felt that....moment...that "change" from the "Holy Spirit" that all Christians claimed to feel. It made me feel insecure in my salvation. I would go to bed at night and nightmare about hell. I would dream about watching my parents get condemned to hell by Jesus on the Last Judgment. Everyone said God and Jesus were love and all of that, but I was terrified of them.. I was scared to death of meeting Jesus, all I could envision was being ridiculed and sentenced to hell for not believing the proper way, and being good enough, though I was always taught no one was good, Christ himself said so.
I believe that emotional pain and trauma would set me off into my 3 year long neurosis from 18-21 years old. During the past three years I changed denominations almost daily, sometimes more than once a day. I was so afraid of having the wrong beliefs, after all there is about 1000+ denominations and each them claim to have the correct path to Christ. I would jump around from everything. I converted to Catholicism and left, and came back, tried Orthodoxy, almost all protestant faiths, even "new age" Christianity. None of it satisfied me, I was so afraid of God and hell.
Well about 4 months ago I found universalism, the idea that all people will be saved. I researched it and found most of their claims to be true. That opened the floodgates. Once I found that Christian Church was wrong on this, Christianity fell like a house of cards. I studied early church history with an unbiased opinion and found that almost all Christianity is borrowed directly from pagan religions.
I studied my way out of organized religions. I was tempted by atheism, however I just can't believe that all of this was an accident. I don't think it takes much faith to believe in a Creator.
I do have a lot of anger inside of me at the organized religious structure. I am trying to get it all worked out and be positive about what I have instead of bitter about what was.
Now I consider myself a weak atheist, I don't believe that God can ever be disproven, but I just can't believe in a god at this point in my life. I tried deism, but I don't know if I can take that.

Johnny, hi and welcome. Is there a god or not? Which is less probable?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6016 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3650 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates