Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 18, 2024, 10:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
this video is 13:51 long, but interesting snapshot of atheists in the states. so, at roughly 44%, atheists are the most distrusted minority in the country - on even par with rapists.

even the american cancer society, turned down a $500k donation from an atheist-involved secular organization because it didn't want to list them as a donor in their brochure. the turned down money to help find a cure for cancer, because the money came from a secular group. wtf?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7xbwAmPX...ure=g-vrec

they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
RE: everyone (else) seems to be hating on atheists
Shame on the American Cancer Society. This makes me want to cry.
binnyCoffee
Great thing about atheists is that they can find someone else to give the money to that will take it. I can think of some great research programs that are not involved with a biased society. Independent research is a good place to start.
Americas media, politics, society and religion are all interconnected and have been for an incredibly long time.
The whole seperation of church and state thing? Its doesn't exist anymore.
Its a myth.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
I hate to say this, but if you go to any atheist community, most of their own energy is dedicated to hating on "theists" or "religion" or random churches.

Irreligion also correlates with psychoticism and social maladjustment.

AND on top of that, you can't forget that by far the bulk of Christian martyrs in living memory were killed by atheists. You know how Wiccans sometimes get angry at Christians for the witch burnings which happened hundreds of years ago? It's like that.

All of this adds up to a distaste, one I disagree with but I can understand it on some level. Either way, when it comes to real violence and hate crimes, atheists suffer almost none of it: that's primarily on Jews/Muslims. I can find only one incidence, maaybe two. Hell even if you expand your search to the entirety of history, where you can find the state-sponsored murder of hundreds of Christians killed by atheists for being Christian, how many state-sponsored murders of atheists can you find who were killed by Christians for being atheist?

I found maybe one. He disputed it but I'll count it I guess. Undecided

I guess what I am trying to say is that "hate" is relative.
Mary Immaculate, star of the morning
Chosen before the creation began
Chosen to bring for your bridal adorning
Woe to the serpent and rescue to man.

Sinners, we honor your sinless perfection;
Fallen and weak, for your pity we plead;
Grand us the shield of your sovereign protection,
Measure your aid by the depth of our need.

Bend from your throne at the voice of our crying,
Bend to this earth which your footsteps have trod;
Stretch out your arms to us, living and dying,
Mary Immaculate, Mother of God.

Heart
(May 24, 2012 at 7:15 pm)Aiza Wrote: I hate to say this, but if you go to any atheist community, most of their own energy is dedicated to hating on "theists" or "religion" or random churches.

Don't be fucking absurd. Most of us have loved ones who are religious. I myself do not "hate on" (I fucking hate that term) on any particular church or religious institution. However, I will point out the flaws in ones that have them. That is not "hating." That is called being perceptive.

Quote:Irreligion also correlates with psychoticism and social maladjustment.

Get over yourself. You know how many people have murdered or mutilated their own children in the name of religion? Yeah, I think you have it backwards. Why on Earth do you insist on making statements based on absolutely nothing but your opinion whilst touting them as fact?

Quote:AND on top of that, you can't forget that by far the bulk of Christian martyrs in living memory were killed by atheists.

Hmmm. Proof? Name one Christian martyr that was killed by atheists. Make it a real martyr too, not some made up shit. Back up your statements please.

Quote:You know how Wiccans sometimes get angry at Christians for the witch burnings which happened hundreds of years ago? It's like that.

Interesting that you would say that. There were no witch burnings. There weren't even Wiccan burnings. There is no such thing as witches. Religious people burned other religious people. Interesting, isn't it?

Quote:All of this adds up to a distaste, one I disagree with but I can understand it on some level.

Of course you can understand it. It helps you sleep at night.

Quote: where you can find the state-sponsored murder of hundreds of Christians killed by atheists for being Christian,

Oh, really? Making shit up again or are we talking about Christians being killed alongside atheists in Russia? Or are we talking about non-Christians being killed elsewhere? I mean, I really want to know what the hell you are talking (read:lying) about.

Quote:I guess what I am trying to say is that "hate" is relative.

Hate is universal. Ignorance, well, it's more common among certain sects.

(May 24, 2012 at 7:15 pm)Aiza Wrote: I hate to say this, but if you go to any atheist community, most of their own energy is dedicated to hating on "theists" or "religion" or random churches.

wow, hate-laced. doesn't sound like you "hate say this", considering you're lambasting atheists for 6 paragraphs, naming them as murderers, intolerants and violent thugs. what happened aiza?! you sounded so reasonable just yesterday.

Quote:Irreligion also correlates with psychoticism and social maladjustment.

kettle: "hello, pot."

Quote:AND on top of that, you can't forget that by far the bulk of Christian martyrs in living memory were killed by atheists. You know how Wiccans sometimes get angry at Christians for the witch burnings which happened hundreds of years ago? It's like that.

please do enlighten me.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
Watching just a few minutes of that ignorant and hateful shit makes me so grateful (yet again) I live in Oz and not the US.

Land of the free my fucking arse.Thinking
(May 24, 2012 at 7:22 pm)Shell B Wrote: Don't be fucking absurd. Most of us have loved ones who are religious. I myself do not "hate on" (I fucking hate that term) on any particular church or religious institution. However, I will point out the flaws in ones that have them. That is not "hating." That is called being perceptive.
Sure. And how much of your time do you think atheists spend "pointing out the flaws" in "theists" vs. time religious people spend pointing out the flaws in atheists? The point is that there is more negativity going one way vs. the other at least in my experience.
Quote:Get over yourself. You know how many people have murdered or mutilated their own children in the name of religion? Yeah, I think you have it backwards. Why on Earth do you insist on making statements based on absolutely nothing but your opinion whilst touting them as fact?
The psychoticism and social maladjustment thing isn't my "opinion". I can get studies for you if you like. Correlation does NOT mean causation and NOT all atheists are like that but it does lend itself toward the stereotype.
Shell B Wrote:Hmmm. Proof? Name one Christian martyr that was killed by atheists. Make it a real martyr too, not some made up shit. Back up your statements please.
Are you serious?

Any of the people killed in anti-religious programs listed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism

Or if you want a more concrete example, Sister Varvara Yakovleva.
Shell B Wrote:Oh, really? Making shit up again or are we talking about Christians being killed alongside atheists in Russia? Or are we talking about non-Christians being killed elsewhere? I mean, I really want to know what the hell you are talking (read:lying) about.
Just because "atheists died too" doesn't make anti-religious programs illegitimate. Some orthodox (small o) Christians died during the Inquisition too.

But yes, USSR, Cambodia, Albania, etc.
(May 24, 2012 at 8:07 pm)jackman Wrote: wow, hate-laced. doesn't sound like you "hate say this", considering you're lambasting atheists for 6 paragraphs, naming them as murderers, intolerants and violent thugs. what happened aiza?! you sounded so reasonable just yesterday.
I am not lambasting atheists at all (I'm not trying to!), I used to be one. I'm just explaining where the distrust comes from. I think its dumb when people generalize atheists based on some bad apples just like I think its dumb when people generalize Christians or Muslims (and I could easily make a post about why that happens). "Understanding where distrust comes from" is a LOT different than agreeing with it. I think I answered the rest of your questions in my reply to ShellB
Mary Immaculate, star of the morning
Chosen before the creation began
Chosen to bring for your bridal adorning
Woe to the serpent and rescue to man.

Sinners, we honor your sinless perfection;
Fallen and weak, for your pity we plead;
Grand us the shield of your sovereign protection,
Measure your aid by the depth of our need.

Bend from your throne at the voice of our crying,
Bend to this earth which your footsteps have trod;
Stretch out your arms to us, living and dying,
Mary Immaculate, Mother of God.

Heart
Quote:I hate to say this, but if you go to any atheist community, most of their own energy is dedicated to hating on "theists" or "religion" or random churches.

Maybe that's because you are such a bunch of obnoxious fucks? I'll bet you never once looked in a fucking mirror and noticed what a sanctimonious cunt you are.