Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buddhist atheists
Buddhist atheists
Are there any buddhist atheists out there? I have heard it mentioned on here. I was wondering if there is any conflict with atheism and buddhist teaching, especially regarding faith,

Quote:The definition of faith is a mental factor that functions principally to eliminate non-faith.
Without understanding non-faith we cannot understand faith. There are three types of non-faith: non-faith of disbelief, non-faith of non-admiration, and non-faith of not-wishing.
Non-faith of disbelief is disbelief in any correct object in which it is necessary to believe to make spiritual progress, such as objects explained in Dharma teachings. If someone correctly explains Buddha's teachings on actions and their effects and we do not believe what they are saying, this is because the mental factor non-faith of disbelief is present in our mind.Non-faith of non-admiration is a mental factor that causes us to see faults in virtuous objects such as Dharma Teachers, the Three Jewels and other holy beings. It makes our mind unclear and confused. Non-faith of not-wishing is a mind that does not desire virtuous attainments. It prevents us from developing a wish to engage in the paths to liberation or enlightenment.
These three types of non-faith are very harmful. Disbelief prevents us from engaging in spiritual practices and attaining Dharma realizations.
Non-faith of non-admiration robs us of our mental peace and makes our mind turbulent and defiled. As a result, our virtuous minds decrease and we are unable to develop pure experience of Dharma
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Understanding the Mind.

It seems to me that this would prove problematic for atheists, or perhaps people who view faith as a bad thing. Or maybe the accusation of cherry picking might be appropriate, Cherry pick buddhist teaching you like and ignore bits you don't like?
RE: Buddhist atheists
Listen, moron, Atheism has nothing to do with faith. It has to do with no god.

Whether it is your faith that there is no god, or you have no faith and do not find there to be god, you are an atheist all the same.

Of course an atheist with faith is a very shabby creature, barely a dozen times better than any christian.
Buddhism doesn't actually involve a god, it's pretty much spiritual beliefs and involves belief in some afterlife. It doesn't collide with atheism. Seeing as atheism means without theism. Without belief in god. Atheists can poses spiritual beliefs and believe in some kind of afterlife and still be an atheist.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
An atheist could believe in vampires and the slender man, as long as gods don't come into it then they are still atheist. Although, I am not sure how I would treat such a person.

FYI, the Slender Man exists... he scares me...
Cunt
(June 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm)Chuck Wrote: Listen, moron, Atheism has nothing to do with faith. It has to do with no god.

Whether it is your faith that there is no god, or you have no faith and do not find there to be god, you are an atheist all the same.

Of course an atheist with faith is a very shabby creature, barely a dozen times better than any christian.

What on Gods green earth are you rambling on about?

1.Atheism has nothing to do with faith
2.Whether it is your faith that there is no god
3.an atheist with faith is a very shabby creature

Is that your version of lucid thinking? each statement contradicts the other! well done!

I asked if atheist who happen to also be buddhists have any issues with the fact that buddhism requires faith, as demonstrated in the OP. What your rambling excuse for a chance to insult me was all about I have no idea, incoherent rambling with a bit of abuse ROFLOL
The only thing that conflicts with being an atheist is believing in a God or gods. Now, most of ye Westerne atheistes are rational skeptics when it comes to epistemology and humanists when it comes to morality. While it would be understandable to base one's understanding of theism on Hinduism if one had only been talking to Hindus, the same kind of thing is going on when you try to apply your understanding of skeptical atheists to Buddhist atheists.
(June 1, 2012 at 1:49 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: The only thing that conflicts with being an atheist is believing in a God or gods. Now, most of ye Westerne atheistes are rational skeptics when it comes to epistemology and humanists when it comes to morality. While it would be understandable to base one's understanding of theism on Hinduism if one had only been talking to Hindus, the same kind of thing is going on when you try to apply your understanding of skeptical atheists to Buddhist atheists.

Doesn't the six realms of buddhism prove problematic then?

1.God realm
2.Demi-God realm
3.Human realm
4.Animal realm
5.Hungry Ghost realm
6.Hell realm

Or do atheists just ignore that part? Isn't that cherry picking?
Not all Buddhists are atheists. The Buddhists who are atheists don't believe in all of those realms.

This might be worth your time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism
Quote:'Mahayana Buddhism is not only intellectual, but it is also devotional ... in Mahayana, Buddha was taken as God, as Supreme Reality itself that descended on the earth in human form for the good of mankind. The concept of Buddha (as equal to God in theistic systems) was never as a creator but as Divine Love that out of compassion (karuna) embodied itself in human form to uplift suffering humanity. He was worshipped with fervent devotion... He represents the Absolute (paramartha satya), devoid of all plurality (sarva-prapancanta-vinirmukta) and has no beginning, middle and end ... Buddha ... is eternal, immutable ... As such He represents Dharmakaya.

I found this interesting, sounds very much like the Christian view of Jesus in many ways.
Is that idiot still at it?