Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:37 am

Poll: What's the best approach?
This poll is closed.
Absolutely free but with option to donate.
17.39%
4 17.39%
Free but with trial period for premium features.
26.09%
6 26.09%
Free but premium features disabled unless you purchase.
47.83%
11 47.83%
Shareware. 30 day trial
8.70%
2 8.70%
Other? Please specify.
0%
0 0%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best approach?
Best approach?
For most of my programming life I've always released software using the shareware model. That is, try it for 30 days or so and if you like it then you can buy it.

However, with this project I'm wondering if a different approach is required.

So, if you were releasing a new piece of software across the interweb, what option would you take?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Best approach?
I voted for absolutely free. I think it stands more chance of becoming popular if it's free, however when it does start to get a bit bigger then maybe introduce the premium features at a cost. The trial option is a good idea too, for the premium features.

I guess it depends on whether you think this thing can really become big, or is it worth trying to make money from the offset.

Something about shareware products leads me to not really be bothered about them. The only 30 day trial I've ever actually bought the thing afterward was netflix. Otherwise I use it for 30 days and fuck it off after the trial runs out.

My $2 Smile
I don't have all the facts so I can't decide, how badly is the site hurting for money?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(June 2, 2012 at 10:01 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: I don't have all the facts so I can't decide, how badly is the site hurting for money?

No site yet, just me at the moment. I'm fed up making chess sets and want to get back to what I'm good at which is programming. I used to be a professional shareware author not too long ago and I'm trying to re-launch myself.

I'm thinking of going with a completely free version but with a host of premium features that the use can 'enable' for 30 days to try them out if they wish. If they don't then it simply remains free, if they do and decide not to upgrade, again, it reverts to the free version. If they do upgrade then I'm pretty happy about that Big Grin
(June 2, 2012 at 10:05 am)Darwinian Wrote:
(June 2, 2012 at 10:01 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: I don't have all the facts so I can't decide, how badly is the site hurting for money?

No site yet, just me at the moment. I'm fed up making chess sets and want to get back to what I'm good at which is programming. I used to be a professional shareware author not too long ago and I'm trying to re-launch myself.

I'm thinking of going with a completely free version but with a host of premium features that the use can 'enable' for 30 days to try them out if they wish. If they don't then it simply remains free, if they do and decide not to upgrade, again, it reverts to the free version. If they do upgrade then I'm pretty happy about that Big Grin

Depends entirely on what the program is.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(June 2, 2012 at 10:16 am)RaphielDrake Wrote:
(June 2, 2012 at 10:05 am)Darwinian Wrote: No site yet, just me at the moment. I'm fed up making chess sets and want to get back to what I'm good at which is programming. I used to be a professional shareware author not too long ago and I'm trying to re-launch myself.

Depends entirely on what the program is.

This Big Grin http://atheistforums.org/thread-11313.html
(June 2, 2012 at 10:16 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Depends entirely on what the program is.

You mean you don't know? Shock
(June 2, 2012 at 10:38 am)Napoleon Wrote:
(June 2, 2012 at 10:16 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Depends entirely on what the program is.

You mean you don't know? Shock

... should I? :S

Oh wow, that looks awesome. I'd say a 30 day free trial so people are fully aware of what they're purchasing and able to see that its worth the money they'd be paying.
How much would it cost?
- Abdul Alhazred.
i won't pay for something if i don't know (or trust) that it's worth it and i can't get it free elsewhere. so i'd definitely say, put all functionality there for free during trial period, then restrict premium features if they don't pay. i also like the option of donate - it leaves the amount up to the person and that makes anyone able to afford it. looks good man, i will be glad to look at it upon launch.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
Speaking as a consumer, I usually use Google to see what kind of products are out there, and I'll always give the free ones a try if they look good. I don't generally like shareware with a trial period that disables everything, and certainly in your case the free competition will completely destroy you if you go down that route (VLC, Quicktime, Windows Media Player, etc).

Donations are good, but they really require an existing fan base to work. You can always switch to that option later. I think the best option left is to have it free but with a trial for premium features. That gives the user a chance to try out the full product, rather than (from their perspective) taking a risk with their money.