Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is not the title of this thread
This is not the title of this thread
Well, as you already know, that is the title of this thread. I just wrote that as a paradoxical statement by making it refer to itself.

Or maybe that's not a good example, but there are more such statements that are known as "self-referential" paradoxes because, in one way or another, the meaning or the subject of the sentences turns back on itself which then creates a kind of loop that makes us go round and round when we try to understand them due to their self-referential nature. I think that these kind of sentences tend to lend themselves to humor for some reason. That's why I put them in the Humor section.

Here are some of my favorite ones that I've quoted from this website and a few that I've seen elsewhere.

This sentence is not true.

"Being bored keeps me busy." - Fray Pascual

"I don't like to eat. It ruins my appetite." - Fray Pascual

I'm the humblest person I know.

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyone who visits a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.

"All generalizations are wrong." - Vivek Dhar

"My apathy causes me problems, but I don't care." - Carl Crowder

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

87.5% of all statistics are made up.

I never make predictions. I never have and I never will.

I am not in denial!

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

The world's only sad joke is: There is no sad joke.

Max: "Agnes is telling the truth."
Agnes: "Max is lying."

"Always remember that you are a unique individual, just like everyone else." - Mike Saltzman

"Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law." - Douglas Hofstadter
RE: This is not the title of this thread
Reminds me a bit of Russell's Paradox. "This" is not the title of this thread, but "This is not the title of this thread" is.
Trying to update my sig ...
Is the answer to this question no?

The next statement is true. The previous statement is false.

What would happen if Pinocchio said "My nose will be growing"?
Important Advice: Please ignore this post.
It takes years to become an overnight success.
"There are two misstakes in this sentence."
Arguably the most subtle one on that site is the heading for the first section: "Some old classics". However, I notice the absence of Groucho's classic "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."

My Dad has a favourite one he sometimes comes out with when the 'phone rings or someone knocks the door: "If that's for me, don't answer it." See, this is why I grew up the way I dad.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
My terrific mom said this once (and my apologies to all who might be offended):

"What? I'm not a racist, I like negroes!"

Ah mom, she was never any good at cultural sensitivity (though she is right, she isn't a racist).. Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

- PLEASE STOP WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS! THAT IS VERY RUDE!

- I hate people who hate other people.

- Never take any advice from me.

- Can you answer this question with a wrong answer?

- Read this sentence one more time.

- I will finally start working on putting an end to my procrastination. But, I'll start it later.

- I'm special because I have the most average life in the world.
Do not read this sentence.

Also this from The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy: On board the Heart Of Gold, Arthur presses a button just to see what would happen. A little sign lights up saying "Please do not press this button again."

(Incidentally, I just noticed the embarrassing typo in my previous post. For some reason I spelled the intended "did" as "dad". I am sticking to the excuse that it was so late, it was actually early, so I was tired.)
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have a cool job title? ignoramus 29 1714 May 27, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Parody thread: Not trolling #2 How Can You Explain The Platypus?! Edwardo Piet 5 786 April 22, 2018 at 5:52 pm
  Parody thread: Not trolling "Why The Vision Argument Is A Very Shite One" Edwardo Piet 11 2310 April 22, 2018 at 6:36 am
  Jeopardy style Siri Movie Title Translator Brian37 21 2071 December 11, 2017 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The "You really mustn't derail this thread" thread. Edwardo Piet 69 8432 January 19, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The "You really must derail this thread" thread. Marsellus Wallace 20 4031 January 19, 2016 at 7:15 am
Last Post: ignoramus