Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 21, 2024, 1:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whoops.....
Whoops.....
Apparently they were civilians after all.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/2012060...55E01.html

Quote:PATROL BASE PUL-I-ALAM, Afghanistan (AP) - The top commander of U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan offered a somber apology on Friday in an eastern province where officials say 18 civilians - half of them children - were killed in a coalition airstrike this week.

I recall reading in one of Tom Clancy's books about the concept of a "surgical strike." The reply was " you don't do surgery with a bomb."
RE: Whoops.....
Fuck, that's awful. With the insanely accurate and able units we have, I don't understand why airstrikes occur during anything short of a flat out battle.
(June 8, 2012 at 5:52 pm)Shell B Wrote: Fuck, that's awful. With the insanely accurate and able units we have, I don't understand why airstrikes occur during anything short of a flat out battle.

Because air strike is fast, responsive to demand, and also gives the least warning that it's coming and does not risk casualty to our own side when the opponents have technologies barely out of the 19th century.

Appearently it is decided that taking out the top leadership of the crippled Al Queda organization is well worth the price of fanning the flame of hatred against America amongst innocent civilians of the area.
It's reached the point where anything the NATO command says has to be dismissed.
I get that, Chuck, but we have some units that are so stealthy as to be invisible. If there are civilians around, we should opt for that. Soldiers sign up to risk their lives. Children do not.
(June 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm)Shell B Wrote: I get that, Chuck, but we have some units that are so stealthy as to be invisible. If there are civilians around, we should opt for that. Soldiers sign up to risk their lives. Children do not.

Most of the air strike targest are mobile. We get occassional glimpse of where they are and can't really predict where they are going to be. The chances that ground units happen to be within striking distance when we glimpse them is slim. Flying special forces units in takes time, and there had been cases where the target is warned and shot down an enitre helicopter full of 15 SEALs. So air strike is the only way to get them.
More than one case, for sure. There was the most recent incident and also a case where SEALS were shot down in the Hindu Kush mountains while trying to rescue a trapped SEAL team. I believe that was when Michael Monsoor earned his Medal of Honor.

At any rate, there have been plenty of instances where an air strike target is a building. Buildings are not mobile. I'm not saying they should never be used, but it is often overkill, as evidenced by this incident. There is no denying that this should not have happened.
It is a trick we have learned from the Israelis. They don't give a flying fuck who else dies as long as they get their target.
Well, war is hell, bro.
Such things happen sometimes.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Tell that to the victims families.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whoops. Damn That FBI! Minimalist 0 368 June 1, 2017 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Whoops! Hey. Sorry about your kids. Minimalist 14 3527 March 10, 2011 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Ashendant