Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plucky little traveller
Plucky little traveller
121 AUs from Earth - 16 light-hours - and still returning data, Voyager I is set to become Earth's first interstellar traveller:
Quote:It would be nice, fulfilling even, if at the edge of the heliosphere there were, well, an actual edge, a boundary between our bubble and the cosmos. But, it's probably not going to be so cut and dried. "The boundary," Stone postulates, "will not be an instantaneous thing. [Voyager] won't suddenly be outside." Rather, the exit will be turbulent, "a mix of inside and outside," and the work of Stone and the other Voyager scientists is trying to square the different data -- the particles and the magnetic field -- to try to understand what that transition from inside to outside looks like. That turbulent region may take several months to get through.

Famously, both Voyagers are carrying a Golden Record containing sounds, images and other information, selected by a commitee chaired by Carl Sagan. I recently learned that the records were even electroplated with Uranium 238 so they can be radiometrically dated (for you creationists, that means "made up"). Anyway, to honour the upcoming event, whenever that is and however long it may last, here's a fascinating interactive presentation I found of the record and its contents:

http://goldenrecord.org/
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mercury transit begins in little over an hour... for those who have the sun up :) Alex K 16 2388 May 10, 2016 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Frog Legs Dancing with a Little Salt Rayaan 4 2338 April 4, 2011 at 4:29 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko