Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tony Nicklinson - voluntary Euthanasia
Tony Nicklinson - voluntary Euthanasia
Morning all

I have been incredibly struck by the tragic circumstances of Tony Nicklinson's case - if you are unaware of the details, then please take the time to google him and inform yourself.

I simply cannot conceive of a worse fate - if hell is real (which of course it isn't) then I cannot possibly imagine it is any worse than the life this poor man must currently be leading.

Of course, while watching a news report about it up pops some Rev spouting the view of the church - ie that thou shalt not kill. What angered me most about this is two things: firstly, the fact that he was invited to express a view on TV at all (why not just pick some random person off the street - just because he has a stupid dog collar on doesn't mean he is in any position to get air time to his views) and secondly that the position he takes is so utterly wrong in the circumstances that relate to this poor man.

Refusing him the right to die with dignity is tantamount to torture. I sincerely hope he wins his case. Of course, there will be some that pop up on this forum saying it's always wrong to kill etc... but that simply means they haven't thought about it properly.
RE: Tony Nicklinson - voluntary Euthanasia
I think euthanasia should be legal. Of course, it needs to be thought through carefully and laws need to be (re)written, but I see no point in not legalizing it. The society would benefit hugely from it, just think of all the equipment, time and pains it takes to keep a human alive like that. Now, I'm not saying that people like Mr. Nicklinson don't have the right to live and that we as a society shouldn't take care of them just because it costs a lot. No, what I'm saying that there should be an alternative, if the person (or the persons guardians) think he/she is suffering too much. If death penalty is alive and well around the globe, why not euthanasia too?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hello,

And you are?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(June 20, 2012 at 4:12 am)Kayenneh Wrote: If death penalty is alive and well around the globe, why not euthanasia too?

Because politicians/religious leaders/other people in power do not want a person to have control over his own life - they want that control for themselves.
Welcome What_the?

I feel that everyone has the RIGHT to die just as they have the right to live. Religion should get the fuck out of the argument.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I was at my gran's this morning and I picked up the paper to read. I started reading Ann Widdecombe's part for some laughs. She did a bit on this and she was blabbing on about how it is murder. I hate that bitch.

She also mentioned something about David Cameron being able to learn from Moses... Lady is crazy.
Cunt
I didn't have to google this to know how I felt(I did anyway), but people should definitely have the right to take their life in a non-violent manner if they are suffering through an unreasonable amount of pain or their quality of life is extremely poor. The biggest problem, however, is quantifying what an unreasonable amount of pain is from a legal standpoint

I say give him what the wants
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Our bodies can easily turn into a living tomb. Filled with agony and suffering that longs for an end. We all have the right to die. The power-hungry governments of the world have been depriving us of it, that's all.

Time to kick their arses and remind them we should be allowed to die, if we want to.
(June 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Our bodies can easily turn into a living tomb. Filled with agony and suffering that longs for an end. We all have the right to die. The power-hungry governments of the world have been depriving us of it, that's all.

Time to kick their arses and remind them we should be allowed to die, if we want to.

Their needs to be a constitutional amendment for medical privacy, covering both what drugs your doctor can prescribe(not letting gov get interfere with how much painkillers a doctor gives you or arresting cancer patients for medical marijuana) as well as if you want your doctor to put you to sleep.
Quote:f course, while watching a news report about it up pops some Rev spouting the view of the church - ie that thou shalt not kill. What angered me most about this is two things: firstly, the fact that he was invited to express a view on TV at al

This!

Yes, I think it was Dawkins who wondered why "theologians" were always questioned about such issues instead of cooks and gardeners. People who are actually worth something to society and not some dumbass who studied a fucking old book of bullshit and thinks it makes him and expert on EVERYTHING.

Personally, I can't think of anything more worthless than a degree in theology.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flood destroys Tony Perkins' house drfuzzy 14 2086 August 18, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: brewer
  All kids must read the Bible, federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott says. leo-rcc 47 15955 January 5, 2010 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Ashes1995