Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 10:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weariness
Weariness
That is the one word I would use to describe how I feel sometimes when I deal with the absolute ignorance and persecution of people. My family, whom I love dearly and vice versa, some of the members feel this whole atheism thing is just another attempt at grabbing for attention. I've dealt with that mentality for awhile on a lot of different things, from my coming out of the closet as being gay, for many of my political standpoints, many lifestyle opinions and viewpoints, how I behave in general, and now my whole slipping into atheism.

It's irritating and I find that many of those things are viewed as attempting to garner attention for the sake of attention's sake. I find it both annoying beyond description and rather tiring. That general sense of 'screw it' doesn't happen often but it does get to me once in awhile.

Anyone else run into certain things that start to slowly chip away at you like that? Things that just make you want to just throw up your hands and get away from all the bullshit?

And for that matter, how you eventually shake yourselves from it.
RE: Weariness
I never understood who said wanting attention is a bad thing.
Everyone wants attention, it's one of those things that drives us.

People want attention, but very few can actually pay attention.
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
Go on the offensive when the assholes start to get to you.

Remember the words of Sam Harris in "Letter to a Christian Nation."

Quote:There is, in fact, no worldview more reprehensible in its arrogance than that of a religious believer: the creator of the universe takes an interest in me, approves of me, loves me, and will reward me after death; my current beliefs, drawn from scripture, will remain the best statement of the truth until the end of the world; everyone who disagrees with me will spend eternity in hell. ..

Talk about "attention-seeking!"
(June 26, 2012 at 7:37 pm)Braioch Wrote: It's irritating and I find that many of those things are viewed as attempting to garner attention for the sake of attention's sake. I find it both annoying beyond description and rather tiring. That general sense of 'screw it' doesn't happen often but it does get to me once in awhile.

"Screw it" works for me. The sooner you put out who you are and how its going to be for you the sooner other people can sort themselves out. Those who are going to annoy you by being annoyed with you can simply go away if they must, or grow if they can. Either way you're better off because you either wind up with better existing family and friends -or- more room for better friends and true family.

There is no need for you to jump the gun and kick people out of your life. They'll generally take care of that for you if they're not up to the challenge you pose for them. Wish them well but be fair to all the new people who may want to be part of your life for whom your real attributes will be a + not a –.
It's not that it brings me down consistently or anything, it's just that it is one of those things that at critical moments or after some time, erode me down to the point that I'm just weary of it. That really is the word, just tired and sick of it ya know?

After some recovery time I'm good, was just wondering if this happened to others and for what reasons is all.
happens to me pretty often. i don't know if my family thinks i'm looking for attention or if they just think "oh, here he goes with a new *thing* again!" the fucked up part is that they think i'm flighty, like i change ideas often and can't stick to anything. it drives me crazy, because i do not change ideas quickly, i change when it's come to the point that i've exhausted my resources and have no known path to continue. they don't see all the work, learning behind it. just the fact that i'm flighty. smh. i've owned a clothing line, driven taxis, sold shit door to door, done mlm, i had a paper route when i was 10 (try that now, pre-teens knockin on old people's doors asking for $1.25, lol), took classic guitar lessons, and i hustled bubble gum and hot toothpicks in school. i have a plan but they don't see it. sometimes i don't either.

sometimes everything that i'm doing at once, comes to a head and i realize i'm either behind on everything, or just have a need for one person that i can't find. it pisses me off. to get past it, i like to go camping solo with my telescope. takes me wayyyyy out away from what's pissing me off, even when i'm only an hour outside of the city. well, that or the massage parlor ... Big Grin
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais