Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodby Mayberry
Goodby Mayberry
No link, but just getting teasers on cable news that the Sheriff who made Mayberry so iconic that even young people can whistle the them to the show. Andy Griffith has died at his home in NC.

Was never a fan of that show, occasionally watched Matlock. But either way fan or not, certainly a TV icon.
RE: Goodby Mayberry
I always thought he was a hick.

But then, American mythology likes hicks.
What are you talking about?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(July 3, 2012 at 1:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I always thought he was a hick.

But then, American mythology likes hicks.

Me too. However, he made one very good film,"A Face In the Crowd"

Quote:A Face in the Crowd is a 1957 film starring Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal and Walter Matthau, directed by Elia Kazan.[1][2] The screenplay was written by Budd Schulberg, based on his short story "Your Arkansas Traveler".

The story centers on a drifter named Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes (Griffith, in a role starkly different from the amiable "Sheriff Andy Taylor" persona), who is discovered by the producer (Neal) of a small-market radio program in rural northeast Arkansas. Rhodes ultimately rises to great fame and influence on national television.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Face_in_t...%28film%29

I've also always liked the cornball humour in the clip below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh_I6wEgRvk

Vale Andy Griffiths
I enjoyed Mayberry because my dad did, and Matlock was fun now and again. He seems to have been a decent fellow, or at least not a terrible one.
Trying to update my sig ...
Having a redneck atheist friend originally from Oklahoma, really has busted the stereotypes I grew up with about the south. While bigotry was a social norm for me growing up, the culture also produced people with empathy like Woody Guthry(sp) who valued the plight of the poor, long before I was born, and plenty of people in the south DO value social equality, and economic equality.

I think Andy, the person, was one of those people in reality. Like I said, never got into the shows he was on. He seemed like a decent fellow regardless.
andy griffith was ok, but he was no atticus finch.
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais