Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generic Heidegger Thread
Generic Heidegger Thread
Really neat guy, with an incredibly poetic and fluid (but still very rigorous) approach to language. He made challenged the entrenched philosophical tradition (esp. Descartes) in a very radical way, and he had a commensurately huge influence (esp. on Sartre).

I'm working through Sein und Zeit right now, and I figured I'd get a Heidegger thread running up in here. Any other Heidegger-readers out there?

Our exegesis of Heidegger aside, his thinking seems to have been taken up by modern Shias (exemplo gratis). Pretty interesting stuff (as if his stuff wasn't interesting already Tongue ).
So these philosophers were all like, "That Kant apply universally!" And then these mathematicians were all like, "Oh yes it Kan!"
RE: Generic Heidegger Thread

Heidegger?? Heidegger?? That's two diggities too many!

I read a 100 page primer on Heidegger in preparation for a philosophy discussion recently, and while I doubt I'll return to him anytime soon, I was very impressed. I would say that he is the most important existentialist philosopher, and is certainly one of the twentieth century's most important. (A poll of philosophers as to the most important philosophers of the past 200 years put him at number 16. [] Though I think a mistake in many of these lists is to overlook the pivotal role played by Husserl.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Still not very far in Sein und Zeit...
Do you know what Cato123 meant by the Newton : Einstein :: Heidegger : Wittgenstein analogy in the 'nature of number' thread? I don't know what Wittgenstein thought of Heidegger... but wouldn't Levinas fit that role better than Wittgenstein? (Although I take it they were critics of Heidegger from different angles...)
So these philosophers were all like, "That Kant apply universally!" And then these mathematicians were all like, "Oh yes it Kan!"
If you want to elicit a confession you have just got one, I my knowledge of the background philosophers behind my convictions is woefully poor. I have nailed myself to my particular flag, not through the writings that have influenced the movement, but rather because of my emotional response to the artists works of that movement. I know that to be a mad state of affairs, Being that I am like so many in the church of England that have no particular belief in god, but rather like the architecture of their twelfth century church and find it a nice place to sit on a Sunday.
Well this is as good a time as any to put that right, would you point me in a direction where I can find out more?
@jonb: I'm... not familiar with any particular authors, as far as the philosophy of math is concerned (aside from hearing a terse version of mathematician A's opinion on the math they did).
This might be a good place to head, if you're curious about how modern math tries to operate.
See told you I didn't know.