Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were certain a designer exists...
If you were certain a designer exists...
If you were certain a designer/creator exists to the universe, do you think you would also believe it to be "God"? "God" as in the being that is so great that's impossible to become greater?

Or would you think it can be anything or be of any number and have equals?
RE: If you were certain a designer exists...
The "designer" is natural selection which picks what works...not that which works elegantly.

Evolution has mistakes. These are acceptable in natural selection but if there is a god he is one suck-ass designer.

http://scienceray.com/philosophy-of-scie...leftovers/

Quote:Designed or Defunct: God’s Mistakes or Evolutionary Leftovers?

Read more: http://scienceray.com/philosophy-of-scie...z21Dwmufsn
Atheist perspective: God = creator = evolution = sucks Sad
Theist perspective: God = creator > evolution = rocks!
(July 21, 2012 at 4:31 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Atheist perspective: God = creator = evolution = sucks Sad

What sort of rocks are we talking about here?

Big ones or the little buggers that get stuck in your tyres and make an annoying noise as you drive along?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(July 21, 2012 at 4:31 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Atheist perspective: God = creator = evolution = sucks Sad

Fuck, this was lame. Nice try.

Fr0d0, you've been around long enough to know that god and creator can't be included in an atheist equation.

The only sucking going on here is the noise made as the air rushes into your ass when you pull your head out of it.
No Mystic, I probably wouldn't consider the thing a god. There are many creators and designers of many things, none of them gods. Supposing that there was an entity responsible for the creation of all things, the term "god" would be inappropriate, and imho, an insult to that entity.

Imagine for a moment you were such an entity, would you want human beings attaching all their "god" baggage to you? I doubt it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Re: RE: If you were certain a designer exists...
(July 21, 2012 at 5:00 am)cato123 Wrote: Fr0d0, you've been around long enough to know that god and creator can't be included in an atheist equation.

Yet you seem to have missed that exact reference that inspired my post (mins post above mine Wink)
Quote:Fuck, this was lame. Nice try.

Frods does "lame" with the best of them!

You know fr0d0, being the dumb atheist I am, I cant figure this one out, care to enlighten me? Or is it beyond my atheistic understanding? Big Grin *pokes, pokes*
Re: RE: If you were certain a designer exists...
(July 21, 2012 at 12:58 pm)LastPoet Wrote:

You know fr0d0, being the dumb atheist I am, I cant figure this one out, care to enlighten me? Or is it beyond my atheistic understanding? Big Grin *pokes, pokes*

Y'ok Poet Smile

The first line is a summary of Minimalists post above mine.

"if god created evolution then god sucks"

The second line: Theists believe that god created evolution and that's just fantastic (we appreciate it)

HTH

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If people were 100% rational, would the world be better? vulcanlogician 188 22770 August 30, 2021 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  If you were accused but were innocent ... GrandizerII 40 2981 December 3, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  God exists subjectively? henryp 90 12300 November 21, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: Tonus
  What if Creationists were Athiest for a day? ScienceAf 59 5915 August 29, 2016 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Afterlife, I'd be happy if it were true..... maestroanth 35 3819 June 12, 2016 at 3:13 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Logical contradictions in certain notions of monotheistic deities Mudhammam 5 1430 May 7, 2016 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  God exists because we can imagine it Heat 46 7753 December 6, 2015 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What do we do while deciding if free will exists? henryp 57 9824 April 20, 2015 at 9:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If there were a creator, what would be their limits? Razulxe 2 54 8490 February 19, 2015 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  If God exists but doesn't do anything, how would we know? And would it matter? TaraJo 7 3994 January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin