Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help?
help?
So I've tried getting to grips with propositional logic recently and it seems so unusual that i'm struggling with it greatly, Can anyone on here provide me with a simple step-by-step? Big Grin
Religion is an attempt to answer the philosophical questions of the unphilosophical man.
RE: help?
(July 21, 2012 at 7:57 pm)liam Wrote: So I've tried getting to grips with propositional logic recently and it seems so unusual that i'm struggling with it greatly, Can anyone on here provide me with a simple step-by-step? Big Grin

make a video telling how stupid everybody is and laugh really hard til you get to the point that you have shamed them into believing you.

Tiger
(July 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm)Stevie Wrote:
(July 21, 2012 at 7:57 pm)liam Wrote: So I've tried getting to grips with propositional logic recently and it seems so unusual that i'm struggling with it greatly, Can anyone on here provide me with a simple step-by-step? Big Grin

make a video telling how stupid everybody is and laugh really hard til you get to the point that you have shamed them into believing you.

jesustapdancingchrist Stevie - do you have to walk around with a helmet all day?!? I mean that statement doesn't make one god damn bit of sense you quarter-wit ****tard.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(July 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm)Stevie Wrote:

Tiger

Isn't that essentially what you do? Except we'd need to replace the word "shamed" with bored and "believing" into humouring.
I mean its great entertainment and please whatever you do don't stop doing that but I'm not sure that can be classified in any way, shape or form as an answer to his question.

Propositional logic would basically be using logic within the confines of a pre-defined proposition that has not been proven true.
Proposition: "Woman trapped in elevator with twinkie, when elevator opens twinkie is gone."
Whatever logic you use to resolve this harrowing dilemma is propositional logic. We have no knowledge of the event ever having of taken place. It is purely a proposition and in this case one based entirely in fiction.

Nah, I'm just fucking with ya. Thats not what it is.
Its quite difficult to describe.

"Propositional logic, also known as sentential logic, is that branch of logic that studies ways of combining or altering statements or propositions to form more complicated statements or propositions. Joining two simpler propositions with the word “and” is one common way of combining statements. When two statements are joined together with “and”, the complex statement formed by them is true if and only if both the component statements are true. Because of this, an argument of the following form is logically valid:

Paris is the capital of France and Paris has a population of over two million.
Therefore, Paris has a population of over two million."
Source: http://www.iep.utm.edu/prop-log/

So its the combination of various propositions and/or statements to form a more complex proposition. If you were rather dishonest you could place a false proposition in a sea of true propositions, you may have noticed certain people making a habit of doing this. It makes it harder to address the emergent proposition as to do so you need to sift through it to address all issues raised.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(July 23, 2012 at 12:19 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Paris is the capital of France and Paris has a population of over two million.
Therefore, Paris has a population of over two million."

I meant the structures and rules, not the actual propositions, thanks though Tongue I know the basics (Simon Blackburn's 'think' and some further internet research) but I was wondering if anyone on here was well-versed in it. I can do basic truth expressions, existential and universal qualifiers and conjunctions, as well as stuff like bracketed operations, truth grids and argument formation in true structure but that's really all and the rest is escaping me. If anyone at all knows beyond this then could someone either help me or direct me towards a book that teaches it specifically?
Religion is an attempt to answer the philosophical questions of the unphilosophical man.
Lol at people taking Stevie seriously Tongue
(July 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm)Napoleon Wrote: Lol at people taking Stevie seriously Tongue

Yes, tis rather amusing.
Cunt
(July 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm)Napoleon Wrote: Lol at people taking Stevie seriously Tongue

Undecided
(July 23, 2012 at 5:21 pm)Stevie Wrote:

Undecided

Don't be sad, Stevie... We still love you.
Cunt
(July 23, 2012 at 5:23 pm)frankiej Wrote:
(July 23, 2012 at 5:21 pm)Stevie Wrote: Undecided

Don't be sad, Stevie... We still love you.

'Nough said.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me to help the world Mazotu 3 850 June 19, 2013 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Kayenneh