Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Good short and simple argument against God
Good short and simple argument against God
Imagine a world where God did not exist but people just really wanted to believe for whatever various reasons. Now try to find the difference between the world you just imagined and our world.
GodlessGirl
RE: Good short and simple argument against God
Well, I guess they would have one book of fiction less Tongue Probably their world would be lacking all these meaningless wars we've had. But then again, if they want to believe I don't think that they'll stop at a certain religion and an all-out war would be inevitable.
(July 23, 2012 at 7:44 am)GodlessGirl Wrote: Imagine a world where God did not exist but people just really wanted to believe for whatever various reasons. Now try to find the difference between the world you just imagined and our world.

Don't have to imagine. We live in that world.
What would be really cool is if we could ship all the god people in this world to that other world.

(July 23, 2012 at 8:55 am)aleialoura Wrote: What would be really cool is if we could ship all the god people in this world to that other world.

Perhaps a "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" scheme where some huge spacecraft were constructed and all the bishops, vicars, pope, Ayatollahs, imans, rabbis, etc. were sent off to save this other world from un-godliness. A second spaceship could then be constructed to carry human resources officers, insurance salesmen, management consultants, advertising executives, tax accountants, and corporate lawyers, to help them build the new world.

The rest of us can stay at home.

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

(July 23, 2012 at 8:55 am)aleialoura Wrote: What would be really cool is if we could ship all the god people in this world to that other world.

We would be left with a very tiny population XD
But I guess it would be MUCH better Tongue
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. - A dusty old book that I found that must be completely true because someone wrote it down.

We already do, just got to wait for the fuckers to die.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(July 23, 2012 at 7:44 am)GodlessGirl Wrote: Imagine a world where God did not exist but people just really wanted to believe for whatever various reasons. Now try to find the difference between the world you just imagined and our world.

Devil's advocate: Such world would never exist!! All worlds require god as the creator!!!

- What if a god is not required to create a Universe?

Devil What if you go to hell after you die?

- empty threat is.... empty!

Devil What other way do you have to explain the existence of this universe?

- Big bang.

Devil But what about before the big bang? Who created the Big bang?

- I don't know. Why does there have to be someone creating the big bang? Maybe the energy that "transformed" into matter, at that time, was just there all along, since eternity. Maybe something else.... bottom line: I don't know.

Devil Well I know that god did it.

- how do you know that?

Devil I believe it, hence I know.

- you silly person. believing and knowing are two different things! I believe my wife is not having an affair.... but I don't know it.

Devil I have faith in god. I feel he's there. I know he's there.

- Are you sure that what you feel is god? I'm willing to bet that, 3000 years ago, in Egypt, people felt similar things and attributed it to their gods. I could say the same for hindus, vikings, classical greeks and romans, celts, etc, etc... Why is your deity any better than theirs?

Devil It's the one true god. There is no other. Those other people were mistaken in their interpretation of the divine message.

- How can you be sure that you're not mistaken as well?

Devil Jesus Christ spoke to a lot of people and made miracles and we now have an unbroken line of accounts of these feats.

- So you believe that these accounts haven't suffered any alterations throughout the years? Also why didn't everyone in the world become convinced of it just as you are? Perhaps J.C. didn't really perform such miracles... he may have just been a very knowledgeable guy and then a bunch of superstitious mumbo-jumbo was latched on to his persona.

Devil The book was compile in the 3rd century. It has been unaltered since then. Even then, it's parts had been written for some time. People just wouldn't admit into incorporating untrue facts in those texts.

- Why? People couldn't read! They just heard what the preachers said. And, you know, for the most part, they didn't witness the miracles and general life of J.C.. And preachers like to incorporate changes in their stories, to build more of an audience and get more financial help (just like nowadays street performers!) The more entertaining the story, the better!

devil (reached the limit of icons): You're going to hell!

- I'll find out when I get there. Until then, I'm enjoying a carefree life!

Here's a couple responses, not necessarily consistent with each other:

1) The difference is that God exists in our world.
2) The world you describe isn't possible, since God necessarily exists in all possible worlds.
“The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false.”
(July 31, 2012 at 5:34 pm)CliveStaples Wrote:

Here's a couple responses, not necessarily consistent with each other:

1) The difference is that God exists in our world.
2) The world you describe isn't possible, since God necessarily exists in all possible worlds.

Where's your evidence?
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8108 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Is my argument against afterlife an equivocation fallacy? FlatAssembler 61 2593 June 20, 2023 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 12725 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  My Almighty VS your argument against it Won2blv 43 3779 May 5, 2022 at 9:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15647 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1873 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1973 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  The Argument Against Evil-lution no one 19 3486 January 5, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How to easily defeat any argument for God Tom Fearnley 629 33503 November 22, 2019 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19020 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am