Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Postponing Ramadam for Olympics
Postponing Ramadam for Olympics
Watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics on Friday, apparently Muslim competitors are allowed to postpone ramadan so long as they make the days up at a later date.

I wondered who had made this decision and if it is something allowed in the Quran, or if it's another example of religious flexibility for convenience?
RE: Postponing Ramadam for Olympics
It's because they are traveling. You are allowed to not fast if you are traveling and not staying in one place for 10 days.
(July 30, 2012 at 9:13 am)MysticKnight Wrote: It's because they are traveling. You are allowed to not fast if you are traveling and not staying in one place for 10 days.

Don't get me wrong, I think to participate in intense physical activities while not eating or drinking would be incredibly difficult, but I didn't realise there were caveats in scripture to allow for flexibility
(July 30, 2012 at 10:31 am)Chuff Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I think to participate in intense physical activities while not eating or drinking would be incredibly difficult, but I didn't realise there were caveats in scripture to allow for flexibility

Let's face it, apart from the dangerous fundamentalists of any religion, scripture tends to get suddenly flexible when it gets in the way of something the devotee really really wants to do.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(July 30, 2012 at 10:51 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Let's face it, apart from the dangerous fundamentalists of any religion, scripture tends to get suddenly flexible when it gets in the way of something the devotee really really wants to do.

This is the thought that provoked me to start the thread - One minute scripture is absolute, the next it isn't. I wish they'd just make their mind up and be consistent.
(July 30, 2012 at 11:10 am)Chuff Wrote: I wish they'd just make their mind up and be consistent.

Then they would be fundamentalist, and christballs do we not need more of those.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm