Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experiencing the Divine
Experiencing the Divine
So I got into it with my father about religion today. I asked him how he could possibly believe in the Christian god without any shred of evidence, and he told me because he's had "divine experiences." When I asked for examples, he told me about how he's talked with the dead...like I mean straight up "I see dead people" stuff. Could there be a reasonable explanation for why he may have "experienced" this or should I just come to terms with the fact that my father is far crazier than I ever would have believed? Mind you it was mostly when he was younger and during a period of severe illness. Like a near death experience type of thing?
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
RE: Experiencing the Divine
Batshit crazy?

Brain tumor?

Chemical imbalance?

The list of possibilities is endless...except that some god actually spoke to him.
(July 31, 2012 at 11:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Batshit crazy?

Brain tumor?

Chemical imbalance?

The list of possibilities is endless...except that some god actually spoke to him.

Most likely; he's lying.
(July 31, 2012 at 10:45 pm)KnockEmOuttt Wrote: So I got into it with my father about religion today. I asked him how he could possibly believe in the Christian god without any shred of evidence, and he told me because he's had "divine experiences." When I asked for examples, he told me about how he's talked with the dead...like I mean straight up "I see dead people" stuff. Could there be a reasonable explanation for why he may have "experienced" this or should I just come to terms with the fact that my father is far crazier than I ever would have believed? Mind you it was mostly when he was younger and during a period of severe illness. Like a near death experience type of thing?

You realize that him being "far crazier than you'd have believed" is a reasonable explanation, right?
(July 31, 2012 at 11:33 pm)padraic Wrote:
(July 31, 2012 at 11:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Batshit crazy?

Brain tumor?

Chemical imbalance?

Most likely; he's lying.

That could be a possibility, although knowing him it's more along the lines of arguing from ignorance.

(July 31, 2012 at 11:48 pm)genkaus Wrote: You realize that him being "far crazier than you'd have believed" is a reasonable explanation, right?

Alas, that's probably the case. It's funny, he's always seemed a bit more rational than that. This was an absolute revelation today. I don't think I can ever discuss religion with him again (at least without thinking him delusional).
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
I've seen a ghost (and I couldn't move, was fucking scary, malevolent old crone standing over me), and I've heard the universe speak to me.

I have a rule though, nothing counts at 3:00 am or after 24 hours of being awake =P
Quote:Alas, that's probably the case. It's funny, he's always seemed a bit more rational than that.

My dad was a brilliant man,and could be quite rational,unless you got him onto religion,politics or sports.Then he was a dead cunt.Angel Cloud
(August 1, 2012 at 1:52 am)padraic Wrote:
Quote:Alas, that's probably the case. It's funny, he's always seemed a bit more rational than that.

My dad was a brilliant man,and could be quite rational,unless you got him onto religion,politics or sports.Then he was a dead cunt.Angel Cloud

I'm sure. My father's one of those people that can make religious arguments sound almost rational, so this is was totally mind blowing. I wasn't ready for that one to be honest. I had to keep myself from breaking into laughter...but that would have been a bit tactless on my part.
Well I have mental illness, and I had similar experience seeing dead people spiritually. I recognize now it's due to mental illness.

The thing is it's part of the illness is that you believe in your experiences to be real and not just created by the mind.
(August 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Well I have mental illness, and I had similar experience seeing dead people spiritually. I recognize now it's due to mental illness.

The thing is it's part of the illness is that you believe in your experiences to be real and not just created by the mind.

So are you suggesting mental illness as a cause for divine experiences?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  divine logic? ignoramus 30 6123 June 26, 2015 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Subjectivism and the divine Lucanus 2 1062 January 5, 2014 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  how the divine pen of N crushed the international atheists ftbullies 40 14499 August 1, 2012 at 12:14 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  St. John The Divine's private parking Rokcet Scientist 8 2862 March 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  3 minutes of divine totalitarianism Rokcet Scientist 7 3309 January 25, 2012 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Cosmic Ape